You want breakfast (or somebody does 😉 ) and it has got to be quick! And healthy. And tasty. Yup, these pancakes more than meet those requirements! And they have blueberries!! You know my blog name?? 😉 Yeah, you got it. Blueberry farm girl gets to use more blueberries! Score!
While this recipe is simple dimple, there is one ingredient that lends it that special flair. Buttermilk!! Vegan buttermilk. So easy. Just start with a small bowl and 2 cups of soy milk; add 1 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice (or two teaspoons vinegar) to the milk and stir well. Let this curdle for a couple of minutes while you gather the rest of your ingredients together, and voila!! That special taste and texture is ready!
While the milk is “curdling” you mix all your dry ingredients together as noted in the recipe below. I like to sift everything together, but you can just as easily mix all the dry ingredients with a whisk.
Then add your vegan buttermilk, whisk quickly to mix well (don’t beat it to death tho, ok?;-) ) At this point you can add one cup of frozen or fresh blueberries. I use frozen this time of year since our berries won’t be on until midsummer. 🙁 That creates extra moisture in the pancakes which is fine, but just be careful not to let all the frozen berries clump together in one or two pancakes! 😉 I usually leave the frozen blueberries on the counter and just add a few to each pancake right after I pour the batter on the griddle.
If you are not acquainted with white whole wheat flour, it isn’t bleached or anything. It comes from a summer wheat as opposed to a winter wheat. It’s available in most grocery stores and makes a wonderful less refined flour addition to many recipes.
Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes made in a jiffy!!
- 2 1/4 C. Almond Milk mixed with 1 T. Lemon juice Mix well and let sit for 5 min.
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 C. Unbleached white flour
- 1/2 C. White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 T. Granulated Sugar
- 1 T. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 C. Blueberries fresh or frozen see notes in blog post
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees. Or choose frying pan of choice and set aside.
Mix Soy milk, oil, and lemon juice briskly and set aside to create vegan buttermilk.
- Sift dry ingredients together into large bowl.
- Add vegan buttermilk to dry ingredients and mix just until well combined. Fold in blueberries if desired or keep handy to drop on each spot of batter as soon as poured on griddle.
- Spray cooking surface with pan spray or oil surface lightly prior to pouring batter.
- Cook on griddle at 350 or over medium heat on stove. Cook on each side for approx 3-4 minutes.
- Makes approximately 14 medium sized pancakes.
- Serve warm with real maple syrup!! ????