A great quick and easy vegan buttermilk pancake recipe is an essential for any home cook! Fresh off the griddle, these vegan pancakes are warm, fluffy, and irresistible! Add blueberries while they're on the griddle (or chocolate chips if you dare!) - either way, they're a healthy, egg-free, dairy-free option for pancake lovers everywhere!
Is there anything better than a tall stack of pancakes on your breakfast plate? This easy vegan buttermilk pancakes recipe is a family favorite, and we rotate between making basic buttermilk pancakes and adding fun add-ins, such as blueberries, chopped apple (yes!), or mini chocolate chips.
Either way, we LOVE these and I hope you will too!
Related recipe: Vegan Sheet Pan Pancakes
How do you make vegan buttermilk pancakes?
First, measure your non-dairy milk into a small mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, and mix. This creates vegan buttermilk that is essential for making these pancakes nice and fluffy! Add the oil to this mixture as well.
Measure all your dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder, salt) into a separate medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk dry ingredients together.
Now pour your vegan buttermilk into your dry ingredient mixture.
Use a whisk or fork to mix ingredients together well. Try not to over-mix.
Using a pan-sprayed or oiled skillet or griddle, pour about ¼ cup of vegan pancake batter onto it's heated surface.
Cook pancake over medium heat, waiting for bubbles to arise on top of pancake before flipping.
Generally these pancakes need about 2-3 minutes on each side for golden brown perfection!
Related recipe: Vegan Scones with Strawberries and Chocolate
Can I add blueberries to this vegan pancake recipe?
Yes!! Ya'll know my love for blueberries (sometimes I add chocolate chips instead though!)!
Right after you pour the pancake batter onto the griddle, add fresh or frozen blueberries to each pancake as it's cooking. Then flip the pancake over!
(I add the blueberries to the pancake as it is cooking to avoid berry-clumping, or 'wet' batter spots that can occur if the blueberries clump together!)
Can I substitute gluten-free flour in this recipe?
Yes! As a matter of fact, you can substitute almost any kind of flour in this recipe. Buckwheat flour, gluten-free mixes, oat flour, rice flour, millet flour, etc. You will probably need to decrease the amount of buttermilk by a tablespoon or two, and your pancakes may be slightly more crumbly, but still fluffy and delish!
Related recipe: Vegan Gluten-free Waffles
Why use white whole wheat flour?
If you are not acquainted with white whole wheat flour, it isn't bleached or anything like that. It's whole wheat flour that comes from a summer wheat as opposed to a winter wheat.
It's available in most grocery stores and makes a wonderful less refined flour addition to many recipes. It adds wonderful whole-grain flavor and health benefits! (If you choose to use only all-purpose flour, just decrease the amount of buttermilk by a tablespoon or two.)
Storing and reheating pancakes
Save them in the refrigerator in a bag or a covered container for up to 5 days. Re-warm in the toaster, microwave, or on the griddle. Slap some peanut butter between two pancakes to make a pancake sandwich for an on-the-go breakfast!
Or freeze these individually on a plate or baking sheet, and then store them in a freezer bag or container. Simply toast to thaw and serve warm!
What are the best vegan pancake toppings?
- Peanut butter
- Maple Syrup
- Vegan Butter or margarine
- Simply berry sauce
- Fresh Fruit
- Vegan chocolate sauce
- Vegan caramel sauce
- Coconut whipped cream
Anytime is a great time to make pancakes folks! Pancakes for dinner!!!
You will also love these other vegan breakfast recipes:
- Vegan savory oatmeal bowls
- Vegan oatmeal with winter fruit
- Vegan orange French toast
- Easy tofu scramble
- 2 Ingredient banana oat cookies
- Banana nut muffins
- The ultimate green smoothie
- Cocoa banana chia seed pudding
- How to make oat milk
If you’ve tried this Vegan Pancake recipe or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Best Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2¼ cup Plant milk , such as almond milk or soy milk
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil, or melted coconut oil
- 1½ cup Unbleached white flour
- ½ cup White whole wheat flour, see recipe notes
- 2 tablespoon Granulated organic sugar
- 2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees. Or choose frying pan of choice and set aside.
- Mix plant milk, oil, and lemon juice briskly and set aside to create vegan buttermilk.
- Sift dry ingredients together into large bowl.
- Add vegan buttermilk to dry ingredients and mix just until well combined.
- Spray cooking surface with pan spray or oil surface lightly prior to pouring batter. Pour approximately ¼ cup of batter onto heated griddle or skillet.Keep berries or chocolate chips handy to drop onto each spot of batter as soon as poured onto the griddle or frying pan.
- Cook on griddle at 350 or over medium heat on stove. Cook on each side for approximately 2-3 minutes. Serve warm with real maple syrup!!