Remember that crazy-awesome wedding that I told ya’ll about last time? The one that pretty much kept me from having a luxurious spare minute in which to share recipes with you? Well, one of the little things I discovered during my absence from the blog was how to make amazing coconut whip cream; more specifically, Vanilla flavored-Agave sweetened whip cream. Yeah it’s super yummy!!!!
Basically what happened is this. I was hosting a bachelorette party for my sis-in-law and I wanted a big batch of fluffy vegan whip cream with little effort – and no refined sugar! Before, I’d always used powdered sugar, and yeah it was fine – not great, just ok. This time, with all the sickness going around, I decided we’d skip the sugar and try out agave. Really it was kinda brave. 😉 I was feeding a bunch of people and totally needed it to turn out! Previously I’d assumed that any liquid kind of sweetener would make the coconut cream too runny. I was so wrong!
Now, if you’re new to the coconut whip cream idea, here’s what you do. Either buy coconut cream in cans (sold at Trader Joe’s – my fave- and on Amazon) where basically the whole can is straight up cream or you can use high quality canned coconut milk, refrigerate it and then skim off just the cream from the top of the can. You’ll need about two cans of regular coconut milk to equal the cream from just one of the coconut cream cans.
Other important tips. Yes, you need to chill whatever base you are using (canned coconut cream or canned coconut milk). Just stick the can (or cans) in the fridge the day before. If you have the time, chill your mixing bowl. Hey, even chill your vanilla and agave too, if you can! The colder everything stays, the better for whipping!
Use an electric beater to get those lovely peaks. It doesn’t take but a minute or two of whipping and it gives it that lovely authentic whipped cream texture.
I love adding Vanilla Extract! It sort of evens out the coconut flavor and just makes it…so divine.
Agave is totally the way to go for sweetener! It adds a sweetness that sugar doesn’t, and makes it into whip cream you can eat for breakfast without regrets!
After whipping, I like to return the cream to the fridge to stay cold until I’m ready to serve it. I actually had most of the food left out buffet style at the gathering for quite a while, and I was pleased how the texture of the cream never became too thin or runny. It did great! I didn’t get to measure it’s room temperature thickness for super long tho, because it all got eaten!!! 😉 It was a total hit. I thought I’d made wayyyy to much. Not so my dears, not so. This stuff is addictive!
Vanilla-Agave Coconut Whip Cream (Vegan)
Coconut Whip Cream that is wonderfully fluffy and rich! Even better, it literally only takes minutes to make!!
- 1 14 oz. Can Coconut Cream OR two Cans high quality full fat coconut milk - See notes in blog post
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 T. Agave Nectar
- First, chill your can of coconut cream (or cans of coconut milk) in the fridge overnight.
- An hour or so before mixing, place your mixing bowl, measured vanilla, and agave into the fridge also!
- Carefully open your coconut cans. If it’s a can of coconut cream, you’ll be using almost all of it, minus maybe a few drops of coconut liquid in the bottom of the can. If you’re using high quality full-fat coconut milk you’ll need to be careful to only get the firm white coconut fat on the top of the can. You don’t want that coconut juice for this! Save it for your smoothie or something later!
- Now add your agave nectar and vanilla extract and whip with electric beaters for a minute or two increasing speed as you go! Once it’s fluffy you’re done. Place in serving container and it’s ready to serve or return to the fridge for a few minutes to several hours, until you are ready to serve!! (It’s even great after overnight but not quite as fluffy.)