This vegan caramel sauce is mind-blowingly delicious and super easy to whip up in 10 minutes or less! Coconut cream, brown or coconut sugar, and one other secret ingredient are all you need for this recipe!
This easy caramel sauce is fantastic on:
What you’ll need to make vegan caramel sauce:
- Brown sugar or Coconut Sugar – brown sugar gives a more traditional caramel flavor (see Photo 2 below), while the coconut sugar (see photo 4 below) gives a richer flavor and a darker color, and also has the benefit of being healthier!
- Coconut Cream – if you can’t find straight up coconut cream, just use the cream off of the top of a can of full fat coconut milk.
- Butter flavor – this ingredient is totally optional and the caramel sauce tastes great without it. But if you want to take your sauce to the next level, this is my ‘secret’ to absolutely amazing vegan caramel! Find it in the flavoring section of most grocery stores or online. I also use this ingredient in my popular Vegan Nacho Cheese, so you’d have more than one way to use it!
How to Make Vegan Caramel Sauce:
Measure your canned coconut cream and brown sugar (Photo 1) or coconut sugar (Photo 3) into a small pot.
Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally to avoid burning until coconut cream and sugar liquefy.
Once boiling, reduce heat slightly and allow mixture to simmer. It will bubble and froth, that’s perfect. Simmer for 7-8 minutes or a little longer if desired.
Allow to cool slightly to thicken (and also to avoid burning your tongue!).
Expert cooking tips:
Do you love salted caramel? You can add a pinch of salt while making this vegan caramel, or you can wait until after and sprinkle sea salt flakes over whatever you’re eating, as in the photo below… I’m definitely loving it!
Storing Vegan Caramel Sauce: You can keep this vegan caramel in the refrigerator for up to a week. It does thicken even more when chilled (especially the brown sugar option) but warm it for just a few seconds in the microwave or just rest a sealed container in hot water for a couple of minutes…and it’s back to that wonderful thick-sauce consistency!
There are endless ways to use this vegan caramel sauce: drizzle over apple slices, pecan pie pars, pumpkin bread glaze, over ice cream, apple pie topping, and on and on!
Looking for more easy vegan desserts?
- Vegan chocolate sauce
- Simple berry sauce
- The best vegan fudgesicles
- Amazing vegan cheesecake
- Vegan key lime pie
- Cherry chocolate vegan ice cream
- Vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Vegan chocolate milkshake
If you’ve tried this Vegan Caramel Sauce or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup Coconut cream, or use just the creamy part from the top of a can of chilled full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed), or 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp butter flavoring
- Measure your canned coconut cream and brown sugar or coconut sugar into a small pot.
- Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally to avoid burning until coconut cream and sugar liquefy completely.
- Once boiling, reduce heat slightly and allow mixture to simmer. It will bubble and get a bit frothy and that is perfect. Simmer for about 7-8 minutes or a little longer if desired.
- Allow to cool slightly to thicken (and also to avoid burning your tongue!).Total yield: about 3/4 cup