It’s sunny, it’s hot, it’s busy, and it’s…..blueberry season! The farm opened yesterday for u-pickers and since this farm girl got a little pickin’ in early, I have a quick and tasty blueberry crisp recipe for you. There is however, one problem with this recipe; you might need to double it! My husband was like, ‘why didn’t you make more??!!!’ ‘Well, honey, you know my blog? Not everyone reading it wants to eat a ton of blueberry crisp in one sitting!’ But, he has a point. So if you have a big crowd (or just a very hungry little family like me!) you might want to double it! 😉
Did you notice the lemon in the pic? Yes there is lemon in this recipe! I love lemon in SO many things (I even drink lemon water every morning as a quick system cleanse!) and the lemon in this recipe really makes the blueberry flavor pop nicely. Gives it some zip without tasting really lemony if you know what I mean.
You’ll also notice I didn’t put any sugar in the filling, only in the topping. This creates a nice contrast between sweet and tart; especially if you are serving this with some vegan vanilla ice cream (mmmm!) or dairy-free whip topping or even just a little soy milk! If you don’t care for tart at all, try cutting the lemon juice in half and/or adding a bit of sugar to the filling.
Bake this on a middle rack in your oven with no covering, and your topping will turn out nice and crispy. I’m not into ooey-gooey crumble topping. It’s gotta be crispy!
Well, I think that’s all folks! I’m off to pick berries and have fun in the sun!
Quick and Tasty Blueberry Crisp
- 6 C. Fresh Blueberries
- 2 tsp. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 T. Cornstarch
- 1 C. Rolled Oats
- 1/2 C. Unbleached all purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C. Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your 8×8 baking pan with a bit of vegan margarine (like earth balance). Pour 6 C. of beautiful clean berries into your pan, sprinkle with cornstarch, pour fresh lemon juice over, and toss a bit to coat all the berries well.
- Prepare the topping in a separate bowl. Start with mixing all the dry ingredients and then add the oil.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over your berries and place the dish in the oven (uncovered) to bake at 350 for an hour! You’re done!
- Let it cool a bit and serve with non-dairy whipped topping, vegan ice cream, or even soy milk! Truly a wonderful treat!