This is the Vegan Rice Pudding of your dreams! This easy Instant Pot Cinnamon Rice Pudding is super hands off and is ready with just one push of a button.
When is the last time you had rice pudding? I am willing to bet it was WAY TOO LONG AGO! You probably forgot all about this basic comfort food from our childhoods.
Let’s change that, shall we?
The Instant Pot is the BEST way to make rice pudding, and if you like rice pudding then it’s worth having an Instant Pot simply for that! Instant Pots are so much more affordable now than when they came out – I bought mine at almost double the price years ago on Amazon, but it’s still going strong!
This is a true “dump and start” recipe and it comes out heavenly every time. You just push a button and walk away. It will make you regret all those years you’ve gone without rice pudding.
Cinnamon rice pudding is one of my favorite flavors of vegan rice pudding, and I hope you will love it as much as I do.
Vegan rice pudding ingredients
There are so many options for making vegan rice pudding – you can vary what type of plant based milk you use, as well as the ratio of water and milk, amount of sugar, the cooking time, and of course – the flavor.
Here’s what went into this rice pudding:
- ¾ cup long grain white rice (but honestly, any white rice is OK if that’s what you have on hand)
- ¾ cups water (you need water to make rice pudding in the Instant Pot – you can’t just add milk and rice because you might get a “burn” notice)
- 1 can lite coconut milk (this adds a nice richness to the rice pudding. If you don’t want to use coconut, just substitute for 1¾ cups of any other plant based milk or even plain water for a lighter rice pudding)
- 2 cups almond milk (or any other plant based milk that is a little lighter than canned coconut milk)
- ¼ cup sugar (or use more if you prefer a sweeter rice pudding… or you can always stir in some vegan caramel sauce after it is cooked if you find it’s not sweet enough)
- Vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and a little salt – this adds all the flavor!
If you want to add something extra to this rice pudding, feel free to add:
- ¼ – ½ cup shredded coconut (use unsweetened, or cut down on the sugar)
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
But I find that basic cinnamon rice pudding is plenty tasty for me without adding any other ingredients!
How to make Instant Pot rice pudding
Simply add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir all the ingredients together.
Cook on the Porridge setting for 20 minutes.
Allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes, then manually release.
THAT IS IT.
Tips for making rice pudding
- Your rice pudding will thicken as it cools down. Don’t worry if it appears too liquidy at first – just give it a stir and a minute to rest.
- If you do find that it is too thin, simply turn on the sauté mode and allow the rice pudding to reduce for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning
Reheating rice pudding
This rice pudding thickens quite a lot as it cools – it will gel up into what looks like almost a solid. If you will have any leftovers, you might need to carefully stir in as much as ½ cup almond milk or water to the mixture and then reheat it.
I reheat mine in the microwave, but you can also reheat in a small saucepan on the stovetop – with the added milk or water!
Rice pudding add-ins
Once your rice pudding is ready, feel free to top it with:
- Cinnamon sugar (mix ½ cup with 1-2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, to taste. Or use brown sugar or coconut sugar for a richer molasses flavor)
- Vegan caramel sauce
- Vegan chocolate sauce
- Simple berry sauce
- Chopped dates, raisins or dried cranberries
- Cacao nibs
- Shredded coconut flakes
But honestly, simple and basic cinnamon rice pudding is my favorite kind!!
Here are some other easy vegan desserts you will love:
- Vegan fruit pizza
- Vegan yogurt parfaits (make your own vegan yogurt in the Instant Pot!)
- Vegan chocolate chia pudding
- Vegan candied pecans
- Vegan pumpkin cheesecake
- Vegan strawberry shortcake biscuits
- Vegan scones with strawberries and chocolate
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- ¾ cup uncooked rice, long grain (or any white rice you have)
- ¾ cup water
- ⅙ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz canned lite coconut milk, (see notes for other options)
- 2 cups almond milk, or soy, oat, cashew, or coconut milk
- ¼ cup sugar, or more to taste, see notes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add all the ingredients into your Instant Pot. Mix well to make sure that all of the ingredients are well incorporated and mixed together. Place your Instant Pot lid on and screw to close. Set the valve to "sealing."
- Select “Porridge” on your Instant Pot for 20 minutes. Once it has finished cooking, allow it to naturally release for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, manually release by using a towel and bringing the valve toward you to release the pressure. Top with more cinnamon or cinnamon sugar as garnish. Serve warm or chilled, and enjoy!
- For a lighter rice pudding, use 1¾ or 2 cups of vegan milk or even just water instead of the canned coconut milk
- ¼ cups sugar makes a lightly sweet rice pudding. I think it's perfect this way when it is warm, but it needs a tiny bit more sugar if served chilled
- The rice pudding will thicken as it cools! It might look too watery at first, but give it a stir and let it sit for a few minutes. If you really feel you need to thicken it, turn on the sauté mode and allow the rice pudding to reduce for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning