When life gives you mushrooms, make stuffed mushrooms!! Or something like that. Someone gave me some a beautiful combo of button and portobello mushrooms this week, and I knew just what I had to do with them.
You are just going to love these. At least I did. And my husband did. And my 2 year old! Just gobbled them. My 4 and 7 year olds? Meh… Not so much. But you can’t go by their taste-buds all the time. Trust me. 😉
But I’m working on broadening their horizons, day by day… Ok, are you thinking mushrooms yet??
You gotta start by making yummy vegan parmesan tho. Not my original recipe (see sources in recipe below) but oh soo satisfying!! Yum! And only 4 ingredients. Takes like two minutes. Really.
Then get your ingredients sizzling in the pan!
Bake those pretty ‘shrooms for 30 minutes, sprinkle with a bit more vegan parm and ENJOY! Wish I were a mouse in your pocket then….I need some more of these!
- 20 Portobello or Button Mushrooms I used a mix
- 1/2 C. Finely Chopped Onion
- 5-6 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/3 C. Tofutti Cream Cheese a delicious vegan alternative product
- 2 T. Vegan Parmesan Cashew-based recipe in notes
- 1 C. Panko Bread Crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 35o.
- Wash your mushrooms well, and then wiggle the stems out. Set the stems aside to use in the filling. Brush olive oil on your ‘shrooms.
- In a frying pan place your chopped up mushroom stems plus any extra mushrooms you don’t want to fill. Add finely chopped onion and minced garlic, as well as olive oil, sea salt and Italian seas. Saute until onions are clear. Remove your frying pan from heat now to prevent splattering while adding next ingredients.
- Add Tofutti vegan cream cheese and your homemade vegan parmesan substitute (see recipe below). Taste mixture test for saltiness. You want it just a little on the salty side to make up for the mushrooms density of flavor.
- Stuff the mushrooms with a teaspoon or your fingers!
- Place those beauties on the baking tray, sprinkle a bit more vegan parm on them, grind a little himalayan (pink) salt over them if you have it, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle more vegan parm on them after baking if you like!
Vegan Parm Recipe: 1/2 cup raw cashews 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp garlic powder Place all these ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until mostly smooth but don’t overblend or it’ll make clumps. Keeps in fridge for 1 month.