REAL Vegan Mozzarella Cheese IS creamy, does slice, shred, & MELT! And you REALly can achieve all this with just a few simple ingredients.
In the vegan diet there is one thing that I have missed more than any other single thing. It’s cheese. Real cheese. My expectations were that vegan mozzarella cheese would:
- Be creamy
- DEFINITELY Melt
- Be quick to make
Until about a year ago, I wasn’t sure how to achieve that. Then, I finally found a few recipes that I liked but they couldn’t really be characterized as ‘healthy’. (Previously, this post contained info about and tweaks of a famous recipe.) After a bunch of trial and error, I’m excited to share with you my very own recipe for Real Vegan Mozzarella that takes just minutes to make!!
This is a very mild flavored cheese meant to taste like Mozzarella. I think it tastes a lot like string cheese actually. There are lots of fun things you can add in for flavor like sautéed spicy peppers and onion, or chives, herbs, garlic, etc…. I’ve tried a number of variations but I encourage you to try it plain first. Then you can adjust things according to your preferred flavors. In another post I can also share how to make it into ovalinis or mozz balls that you can slice onto your pizza. So much fun!!
The one challenge of making this cheese is that it takes a few unusual ingredients that not everyone has on hand. I usually try to stay away from posting recipes with ingredients that aren’t normally in your cupboard, but this one is just worth the effort. Here are some ingredients that you might not have on hand or are just super important:
- REFINED coconut oil. Please don’t miss the word refined. I missed that when I first tried to make something like this, and I used Virgin coconut Oil. BIG mistake. Anything virgin tastes stronger. Think Extra Virgin Olive oil; it tastes stronger than just regular olive oil, right? Refined coconut oil (Affiliate Link) doesn’t taste like coconut but it still turns solid at cooler temps and just has that wonderful richness. This might sound hard to find, but I live in a remote area, and several local stores sell it. I’ve also bought it at TJMaxx, of all places, and I’ve linked a source on Amazon above.
- Next important ingredient is Tapioca Flour. (Affiliate Link) There may be equitable subs but again this is unbelievably perfect so you just gotta try it. Local health food sections of your grocery store may carry this. I usually buy it online.
- Now for the most unusual vital ingredient. Kappa Carrageenan. This ingredient is what makes the cheese able to go from liquid to solid and back to melted state. It’s a wonder ingredient and not widely sold. I cannot vouch for all producers of this product (which aren’t many) but here is the Kappa Carrageenan I use (Affiliate Link).
Assemble all your ingredients (Photo 1). Rinse Cashews under hot running water for several minutes. (Photo 2) Put all ingredients in the blender except for the water. (Photo 3)
Add boiling water to blender and blend until smooth. (Photo 4) Pour immediately into heat safe dish (your mold) and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. (Photo 5)
Slice, grate and enjoy!
Whew, getting your ingredients together is SO much harder than actually making this, I promise. I cannot wait for you to try this so you too, can successfully make and enjoy yummy, healthy, Real Vegan Mozzarella Cheese!!!
And Here’s a video so you can see the process in action:
IF you like this post you might also be interested in:
If you’ve tried this Vegan Mozzarella Cheese recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Real Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
A Super Simple and Tasty Vegan Mozzarella Cheese that will slice, grate, melt, and blow your mind!!
- 1/2 cup Cashews Rinsed under hot water for several minutes
- 1/4 cup Refined Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp Kappa Carrageenan
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/4-1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- Select a heat-safe preferably glass dish that can hold approx 3C and set aside. (This is your cheese mold.)
Rinse Cashews under HOT water for several minutes.
Put your water in a small pot on the stove to boil.
Add all ingredients (except the water!) to the blender. Add the cashews first and then everything else on top of the cashews.
Carefully add (so you don't burn yourself!!!) the boiling hot water into your blender. Put the blender lid on! And blend immediately until completely smooth.
Stop blending once if need be to quickly scrape sides of blender and resume blending right after.
- Immediately transfer your cheese to your chosen dish/mold as it will start to solidify quickly as it cools.
- Place in refrigerator to chill. No need to cover yet.
- After 2-3 hours or when fully chilled, remove cheese block from dish/mold and wrap in paper towels and then tightly plastic wrap. The flavor gets better over a day or two but it’s great as soon as it’s hardened, too. Yeay! You are officially a cheese-maker!
Tip for cleaning your blender:
Right after scraping all the cheese you can into your mold, fill your blender with a couple cups of hot tap water and soap. Place the lid on and blend on high for several minutes. This will get rid of the the cheesy stuff in the bottom of your blender and keep you from having to clean around the blades with your hands!