REAL Vegan Mozzarella Cheese IS creamy, does slice, shred, & MELT! And you REALly can achieve all this with just a few simple ingredients and a blender!
In the vegan diet there is one thing that I have missed more than any other single thing. It’s cheese. Real cheese. My expectations were that vegan mozzarella cheese would:
- Be creamy
- DEFINITELY Melt
- Be quick to make
Until about a year ago, I wasn’t sure how to achieve that. Then, I finally found a few recipes that I liked but they couldn’t really be characterized as ‘healthy’. (Previously, this post contained info about and tweaks of a famous recipe.) After a bunch of trial and error, I’m excited to share with you my very own recipe for Real Vegan Mozzarella that takes just minutes to make!!
What does this Vegan Mozzarella taste like?
This is a very mild and neutral flavored vegan cheese meant to taste like Mozzarella. I think it tastes a lot like string cheese actually. If you like spice, check out my Vegan Pepper Jack recipe and if you’re more of a smoky person, you’ll definitely love Vegan Smoked Gouda.
What you need to make Real Vegan Mozzarella:
The one challenge of making this cheese is that it takes a few unusual ingredients that not everyone has on hand. But please believe me, it’s SO worth it!
- Refined Coconut Oil – Please don’t miss the word refined. It doesn’t taste like coconut but it still turns solid at cooler temps and just has that wonderful richness.
- Tapioca Flour. This helps solidify the cheese, and also adds a ‘stretchiness’ to the texture.
- Kappa Carrageenan – This ingredient is what makes the cheese able to go from liquid to solid and back to melted state. It’s a wonder ingredient and not widely sold. (find it on Amazon or Modernist Pantry).
The Steps to make Real Vegan Mozzarella:
Assemble all your ingredients (Photo 1). Rinse Cashews under hot running water for several minutes. (Photo 2) Put all ingredients in the blender except for the water. (Photo 3)
Add boiling water to blender and blend until smooth. (Photo 4) Pour immediately into heat safe dish (your mold) and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. (Photo 5)
Slice, grate and enjoy!
Whew, getting your ingredients together is SO much harder than actually making this, I promise. I cannot wait for you to try this so you too, can successfully make and enjoy yummy, healthy, Real Vegan Mozzarella Cheese!!!
IF you like this post you might also be interested in:
If you’ve tried this Vegan Mozzarella Cheese recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Real Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
A Super Simple and Tasty Vegan Mozzarella Cheese that will slice, grate, melt, and blow your mind!!
- 1/2 cup Cashews Rinsed under hot water for several minutes
- 1/4 cup Refined Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Kappa Carrageenan
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/4-1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- Select a heat-safe preferably glass dish that can hold approx 3C and set aside. (This is your cheese mold.)
Rinse Cashews under HOT water for several minutes.
Put your water in a small pot on the stove to boil.
Add all ingredients (except the water!) to the blender. Add the cashews first and then everything else on top of the cashews.
Carefully add (so you don't burn yourself!!!) the boiling hot water into your blender. Put the blender lid on! And blend immediately until completely smooth.
Stop blending once if need be to quickly scrape sides of blender and resume blending right after.
- Immediately transfer your cheese to your chosen dish/mold as it will start to solidify quickly as it cools.
- Place in refrigerator to chill. No need to cover yet.
- After 2-3 hours or when fully chilled, remove cheese block from dish/mold and wrap in paper towels and then tightly plastic wrap. The flavor gets better over a day or two but it’s great as soon as it’s hardened, too. Yeay! You are officially a cheese-maker!
Tip for cleaning your blender:
Right after scraping all the cheese you can into your mold, fill your blender with a couple cups of hot tap water and soap. Place the lid on and blend on high for several minutes. This will get rid of the the cheesy stuff in the bottom of your blender and keep you from having to clean around the blades with your hands!