Ready for some vegan cream cheese? Say yes to this unbelievably rich, smooth, creamy, spreadable, and melty spread! Make this vegan cream cheese recipe in your blender in 5 minutes or less!
This vegan Philadelphia-style cream cheese is so easy to make and super yummy!! You'll be wanting to spread this plain cream cheese on everything - crackers, bagels, sandwiches, you name it!
This dairy-free cream cheese is also fantastic for making vegan cheesecake or this crispy creamy vegan crab rangoon appetizer.
Here's what you need:
Grab your ingredients...
- Refined (flavorless) coconut oil
- Fresh lemon juice - I use this OXO citrus squeezer, it is great when you need to juice just half a lemon quickly
- Nutritional yeast flakes
- Tapioca flour
- Kappa carageenan (more info below)
Let's make vegan cream cheese!
Start by soaking your cashews in HOT water for 5 minutes. Then rinse and drain.
Add cashews, refined coconut oil, tapioca flour, salt, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice to blender. Immediately before blending add, boiled water (careful!).
I highly recommend an industrial strength blender, such as a Blendtec or a Vitamix to blend cashews and other nuts so they are completely smooth.
Blend on high until completely smooth (about 1-2 minutes) then reduce blender speed to low, remove plug in the blender lid and add kappa carrageenan through hole in the lid while still blending. Replace blender lid plug, return blender to high speed for about 30 seconds.
Pour vegan cream cheese mixture into a glass bowl (or ramekins). Let it cool on the counter for a few minutes, and then cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
How long does vegan cream cheese last?
Homemade vegan cream cheese will last in a covered container for up to five days in the refrigerator.
Freeze this vegan cream cheese wrapped in plastic or in a covered container for up to three months.
Ingredients note and tips:
You may have noticed that this recipe requires some unusual ingredients. While these may be a bit challenging to obtain, I think you'll find the results you experience will be more than worth the effort!
Here’s the short list with a link for easy purchase:
- REFINED Coconut Oil – (Please don’t miss the word refined.) Refined coconut oil doesn’t taste like coconut but it still turns solid at cooler temps, thus adding firmness and richness. It’s available at many local grocery stores in the health food section.
- Nutritional yeast flakes - these are a must for that cheesy flavor
- Tapioca Flour – a thickener with a slightly ‘stretchy’ texture. I usually buy online but many local stores should sell this.
- Kappa Carrageenan – This is the most unusual ingredient and somewhat difficult to obtain. A derivative of sea weed, this ingredient is vital because it is what firms the cheese. Used in a greater quantity in my Vegan Mozzarella it can also create a solid cheese that will go from liquid to solid and back to melted state. It’s a wonder ingredient and not widely sold.
Other vegan cheese recipes you will love:
- Real vegan mozzarella cheese - this is the most popular recipe on Vegan Blueberry!
- Vegan herbed cheese - this one is AMAZING for a holiday vegan charcuterie board
- Vegan pepper jack cheese
- Vegan smoked gouda cheese - this is a reader favorite, I get so many messages thanking me for this recipe!
- Vegan cheddar cheese
- Vegan nacho cheese sauce
If you’ve tried this Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Best Vegan Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked and rinsed
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
Add just before blending:
- 1 cup water, HOT (just boiled)
Add while blending on low, after above ingredients are completely smooth:
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kappa carrageenan
- Start by soaking your cashews in HOT water for 5 minutes. Then drain and rinse.
- Add cashews, refined coconut oil, tapioca flour, salt, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice to blender. Immediately before blending add, boiled water (careful!).
- Blend on high until completely smooth (about 1-2 minutes) then reduce blender speed to low, remove plug in the blender lid and add kappa carrageenan through hole in the lid while still blending. Replace blender lid plug, return blender to high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Pour vegan cream cheese mixture into a glass bowl (or ramekins). Let it cool on the counter for a few minutes, and then place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
I followed this recipe very carefully, left it in the fridge overnight and it did not set.Very disappointing. I did not want to waste it so used it as a dip. Are you sure that only a 1/4 cup of cashews is enough?
Hi Cecilia, so sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Yes, I am sure ¼ cup is enough. Not only do I make this regularly, but just looking at the ingredients, you have ¼ cup cashews (solid), ¼ cup coconut oil (solid at fridge temp), 2 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch (a thickener), plus 1 cup water (liquid). That alone should make a dip-like consistency, but adding kappa should allow the vegan cheese to set. Was the water boiling hot? It needs to be super hot for the kappa to be activated and do its job as a vegan cheese thickener.
I've tried others, but they don't compare to hubby's favorite store-bought. He says this one is better! Thank you!
So glad to hear!! I like this cream cheese better than store-bought too!