Loose yourself in the ultimate 'cheesy', creamy, and slightly 'smoky' experience of this Vegan Bacon Mac and Cheese recipe! You're only a few minutes and a short list of ingredients away from cheesy vegan bliss!!!
The vegan cheese sauce itself is gluten free, so you can enjoy a gluten-free vegan mac and cheese if you prefer!
I have been having so much fun with vegan cheese lately. Nacho Cheese Sauce, Smoked Gouda Cheese, Vegan Pepper Jack Cheese, etc... I probably don't need to tell you that I LOVE Vegan Cheese. But, I really wanted a Mac and Cheese that brought all of these loves together in one recipe! So here is my new fave Smoky Vegan Mac and Cheese!
Related recipe: Vegan Baked Feta Pasta
What makes THIS vegan mac and cheese SO good?
The vegan cheesy sauce, plain and simple. Well, really all the ingredients in the pic below put together. But several bear special mention:
- Liquid smoke flavor - just a teaspoon, but this makes all the difference, helping the tidbits of bacon flavor to permeate the whole dish.
- Vegan butter - Trying to go easy on the fats here, so only a couple tablespoons for the whole dish, but it really adds the richness I crave from mac and cheese.
- Miso paste - this is White Miso. Just a light flavor that adds a little extra cheesiness and umami
- Turmeric - this is basically for color, but it's great for your health too, if just a little bit counts!!
- Vegan bacon - use store-bought, or try making vegan bacon bits
Related recipe: Soy-Free Gluten-Free Eggplant Bacon
What are the steps to making vegan mac and cheese?
Measure out your ingredients into your blender. (Photo 1 & 2) Add unsweetened plant-based milk. (Photo 3)
Blend until completely smooth. (Photo 4) Add blender mixture and remaining cup of water to pot with precooked/drained macaroni noodles. (Photo 5)
Stir mixture over medium heat until liquid has thickened. (Photo 6)
Now add chopped/torn veggie bacon and green onions and serve! (Photo 7, 8, 9)
Make it a vegan baked mac and cheese:
Follow all the recipe steps, and then pour the mac and cheese into an oiled 9x11 inch baking dish. Top with seasoned breadcrumbs, if you like, and bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes. Watch breadcrumbs for browning and cover if they're getting too brown.
Pro cooking tip:
When you cook your macaroni, be sure to cook it al dente' or the minimum amount required! Also be sure and salt your water - it makes a difference in the outcome, I promise!
A bowl of this smoky vegan mac and cheese + extra vegan bacon torn up on top = rapturous comfort food bliss. If food could fix problems, this mac and cheese would have a lot of power!
Other vegan recipes you will love:
- White bean butternut squash mash - another amazing vegan side dish!
- Vegan mushroom stroganoff
- Vegan manicotti
- Vegan stuffed shells
- Vegan baked feta pasta
- Vegan cheesy rice and cauliflower casserole
- Vegan pesto pasta
- Vegan Mexican pasta salad
- Vegan mozzarella cheese
- Vegan nacho cheese
- Best vegan egg salad
If you’ve tried this Vegan Bacon Mac and Cheese recipe or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
Smoky Vegan Mac n' Cheese
- 16 oz Pasta
Into the Blender:
- 2 cup Unsweetened plant milk, I used soy
- ⅔ cup Raw cashews, rinse well under HOT water or let set in hot water for 5 minutes and then rinse.
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon White miso paste
- 2-3 teaspoon Seasoned salt, I use Johnny's
- 1½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric , ground
- 1 teaspoon Hickory smoke flavor, I use Wright's
Add after blending:
- 1 cup Water
Add before serving Mac and Cheese:
- 1 5 oz. Package of vegan bacon
- ¼ cup Chopped green onions, (1-2 green onions)
- Large pasta pot
- Cook 16oz. of favorite macaroni pasta (gluten-free if preferred), drain and return to cooking pot.
- Add all the blender ingredients above into the blender and process until completely smooth. Add the remaining cup of water and carefully pour blender mixture over hot pasta in the cooking pot.
- On medium heat warm blender mixture with pasta, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking/scorching.
- When sauce has thickened (usually just a couple of minutes), mix in your torn/chopped vegan bacon and green onions. Devour while warm and creamy!
Would this recipe work well as a baked Mac & Cheese?
Yes, definitely! I bake it all the time! Just go ahead and follow all the recipe steps, and then pour the mac and cheese into an oiled 9X11 baking dish. Top with seasoned breadcrumbs if you like and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Watch breadcrumbs for browning and cover if needed! Hope that helps!
Hi, this looks delicious!
Do you cook/fry the "bacon" before adding it?
Great question! I've done both... I really think it depends on what type of "bacon" you use. Tempeh style, I probably would fry it, but I've also used a lightlife product that didn't really need to be fried. It just warmed nicely in the 'cheesy' sauce.
Can this be frozen and then rehrated?
Yes! I've often frozen meal-sized portions and then taken them out for a quick packed lunch. If you freeze the whole lot as a casserole and then reheat in the oven, you may need to add some moisture during the re-warming process!! Have fun!