These amazing Vegan Stuffed Shells are filled with tofu-ricotta, chopped spinach, sautéed onions and garlic, plus a few seasonings! They're perfect for any special occasion dinner but easy enough for a week-night entrée! Filled with yummy creaminess, they're sure to be an all-round favorite!
Vegan tofu ricotta
The vegan ricotta filling for these stuffed shells is definitely the highlight of this recipe! To make vegan ricotta cheese, you simply crumble up tofu and add a little bit of vegan cream cheese and vegan shredded cheese to give the tofu creaminess and an undeniable ricotta-like texture.
On top of that, I add LOTs of seasonings - both dried herbs and sautéed fresh onions and garlic - to give the ricotta lots of flavor. I promise you, no one would even guess that there is tofu in these stuffed shells if you don't tell them!
What do you need to make vegan stuffed shells?
- Pasta Shells (obviously) and Pasta Sauce - the sauce IS important, use a high quality fave - try this vegan pizza sauce!
- Tofu (firm) - don't worry, you're going to crumble, flavor, and completely disguise it's original nature!
- Sautéed garlic and onion - I always swoon when I start smelling these flavors in the pan!
- Vegan cream cheese - this adds richness and I LOVE it - usually use Tofutti brand or comparable, or try this homemade vegan cream cheese
- Spinach - it's a beautiful and tasty way to get those greens in
- Seasonings - dried basil, oregano, salt, onion, and garlic powder, and some Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Vegan shredded cheese
How to make these:
First, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add a teaspoon or two of olive oil to the skillet.
Sauté your onions and garlic over LOW heat until the onions are clear and the garlic smells savory! (We're not going for brown!)
Set your onion/garlic mixture aside. Preheat your own to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make the vegan ricotta filling:
Drain your firm water-packed tofu block. Press lightly to remove excess liquid and then crumble with your hands or a fork into a med sized mixing bowl.
Add seasonings and olive oil and mix together to create the tofu ricotta.
Now add the fresh chopped spinach, softened vegan cream cheese, shredded vegan cheese, and sautéed onions and garlic.
Mix all that together and your filling is ready! Doesn't it look just absolutely delicious?
Grab your pre-cooked stuffed shells (you'll need 18-20) and using a tablespoon place around 2 heaping tablespoons of the tofu-ricotta filling mixture into each shell.
Spread about two cups of your favorite pasta sauce in a 9x11 inch or slightly larger baking dish and nestle in your stuffed shells, open side down (or up if you prefer!).
Drizzle more pasta sauce and shredded vegan cheese over your shells. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes!
Cook your pasta shells to the "al dente' " directions. It's nice for them to have a bit of a chewy texture, and since you'll be baking them a bit, they'll soften to perfection.
If you want to make this dish ahead, assemble everything, cover with a layer of parchment paper and then foil on top. Refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Approximately two hours before serving time, remove the dish from fridge and let it rest at room temp for an hour and a half and then place in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes! A wonderful dish - with no stress!
Feeling extra full of energy? Make your own cheese to put inside these shells or shred on top! For a smoky touch, go with my Vegan Smoked Gouda, and for more traditional flavor stick with Vegan Mozzarella - both taste GREAT!
Other vegan Italian recipes and pasta you will love:
- Vegan manicotti
- Vegan pesto
- Vegan mozzarella cheese
- Vegan Parmesan cheese
- Vegan pizza sauce
- Vegan feta pasta
- Vegan Italian dressing
If you’ve tried this Vegan Stuffed Shells recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Tofu-Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 20 jumbo pasta shells
- ¼ cup olive oil, , divided
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 14 oz fresh firm tofu, 1 package water-packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup Tofutti cream cheese, optional, softened to room temperature
- 11x9 inch baking dish
- Boil water and cook pasta shells to 'al dente' according to the directions.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sauté diced onions and minced garlic in small skillet with just a teaspoon or two of olive oil until the onions are clear, avoid browning.
- Open and drain your firm water-packed tofu block. Press lightly to remove excess liquid and then crumble with your hands or a fork into a med sized mixing bowl.Add all the seasonings (salt through oregano) and the rest of the olive oil, and mix together to create the tofu ricotta.Add chopped spinach, shredded vegan cheese, and your freshly sautéed onions and garlic. Finally add Tofutti cream cheese. Mix well.
- Grab your pre-cooked stuffed shells and using a tablespoon place around 2 heaping tablespoons of the tofu-ricotta filling mixture into each shell.Spread about two cups of your favorite pasta sauce in a baking dish 9x11 inch or slightly larger and nestle in your stuffed shells, open side down (or up if you prefer!).
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook your pasta shells to the "al dente' " directions. It's nice for them to have a bit of a chewy texture, and since you'll be baking them a bit, they'll soften to perfection.