I love Italian food. It’s super satisfying for me. So when a friend of mine had us over for lunch, I knew this recipe was going to be a keeper – just like my childhood friend. 🙂
Having said that, this recipe is only as good as the pasta sauce you serve it with. Making my own is fun, and I’ll try to post that sometime, but I usually need something quicker. I prefer something not sweet and Victoria White Linen Marinara is amazing. There are just a handful of ingredients and it is Italian Authentico’. 😉 Ok, I’m salivating now.
Crumble up your fresh tofu, add your seasoning ingredients and tofutti cream cheese (totally optional) and then taste test. I usually like to err a little on the salty side of life with this recipe.
Add your chopped spinach, sautéed garlic and onion, vegan cheese shreds, mix it up, and prepare to stuff your pre-cooked shells.
Cover with foil and bake 30 mins while you prepare salad and a side and enjoy the Italian experience!
Tofu-Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 25 Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 14 oz. Fresh Tofu 1 package water-packed
- 1/4 C. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Basil
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 C. Vegan Cheese Shreds
- 1 C. Fresh chopped Spinach
- 1/2 C. Finely Chopped Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/3 C. Tofutti Cream Cheese a delicious vegan alternative product
- Boil water and cook pasta shells according to directions. (This recipe fills about 20 shells, but I usually cook quite a few extra in case some tear, or something. The kids and the dog love the extras, lol).
- Sautée onions and garlic in small skillet with just a titch of olive oil. Onions should be clear. Salt lightly.
- In a medium sized bowl, crumble up your fresh tofu and then add the Olive Oil and seasonings to make the tofu-ricotta. Add chopped spinach, shredded vegan cheese, and your freshly sautéed onions and garlic. Finally add Tofutti Cream cheese (I usually leave this on the counter to soften while I prep everything else). Mix well and taste test for saltiness.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon filling into cooked shells and place in a baking dish in a bed of your favorite pasta sauce. Sprinkle over all a little extra vegan shredded cheese if you like.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
**If you want to make this a day ahead just cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. About two hours before serving time, remove from refrigerator, and then bake 30 minutes prior to serving.**