These amazing Vegan Stuffed Shells are filled with tofu-ricotta, chopped spinach, sautéed onions and garlic, plus a few seasonings! They’re perfect for any special occasion dinner but easy enough for a week-night entree! Filled with yummy creaminess, they’re sure to be an all-round favorite!
What do you need to make Vegan Stuffed Shells?
- Pasta Shells (Obv.) and Pasta Sauce – the sauce IS important, use a high quality fave.
- Tofu (firm) – don’t worry, you’re going to crumble, flavor, and completely disguise it’s original nature!
- Sautéed garlic and onion – I always swoon when I start smelling these flavors in the pan!
- Vegan cream cheese – this adds richness and I LOVE it – usually use Tofutti brand or comparable.
- Spinach – it’s a beautiful and tasty way to get those greens in.
- Seasonings and some Extra Virgin Olive oil
How to make Vegan Stuffed Shells:
First, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add a tsp or two of olive oil to the skillet.
Saute’ your onions and garlic over LOW heat until the onions are clear and the garlic smells savory! (We’re not going for brown!)
Set your onion/garlic mixture aside and open and drain your firm water-packed tofu block. Press lightly to remove excess liquid and then crumble with your hands or a fork into a med sized mixing bowl.
Add seasonings and olive oil and mix together to create the tofu ricotta.
Now add the fresh chopped spinach, softened vegan cream cheese, shredded vegan cheese, and sautéed onions and garlic.
Mix all that together and your filling is ready! Doesn’t it look just absolutely delicious?
Grab your pre-cooked stuffed shells (you’ll need 18-20) and using a tablespoon place around 2 heaping tablespoons of the tofu-ricotta filling mixture into each shell.
Spread about two cups of your favorite pasta sauce in a baking dish 9×11 or slightly larger and nestle in your stuffed shells, open side down (or up if you prefer!).
Drizzle more pasta sauce and shredded vegan cheese over your shells. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes!
Cook your pasta shells to the “al dente’ ” directions. It’s nice for them to have a bit of a chewy texture, and since you’ll be baking them a bit, they’ll soften to perfection.
If you want to make this dish ahead, assemble everything, cover with a layer of parchment paper and then foil on top. Refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Approximately two hours before serving time, remove the dish from fridge and let it rest at room temp for an hour and a half and then place in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes! A wonderful dish – with no stress!
Feeling extra full of energy? Make your own cheese to put inside these shells or shred on top! For a smoky touch, go with my Vegan Smoked Gouda, and for more traditional flavor stick with Vegan Mozzarella – both taste GREAT!
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
If you’ve tried this Vegan Stuffed Shells recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Tofu-Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 20 Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 14 oz. Fresh Tofu 1 package water-packed
- 1/4 C. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Basil
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 C. Vegan Cheese Shreds
- 1 C. Fresh chopped Spinach
- 1/2 C. Finely Chopped Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/3 C. Tofutti Cream Cheese optional
- Boil water and cook pasta shells according to al dente directions.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sauté diced onions and minced garlic in small skillet with just a teaspoon or two of olive oil until the onions are clear. Avoid browning.
- Open and drain your firm water-packed tofu block. Press lightly to remove excess liquid and then crumble with your hands or a fork into a med sized mixing bowl.Add seasonings and olive oil and mix together to create the tofu ricotta.Add chopped spinach, shredded vegan cheese, and your freshly sautéed onions and garlic. Finally add Tofutti Cream cheese (I usually leave this on the counter to soften while I prep everything else). Mix well.
- Grab your pre-cooked stuffed shells (you'll need 18-20) and using a tablespoon place around 2 heaping tablespoons of the tofu-ricotta filling mixture into each shell.Spread about two cups of your favorite pasta sauce in a baking dish 9x11 or slightly larger and nestle in your stuffed shells, open side down (or up if you prefer!).
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.