These Vegan Oat Burgers are quick and easy to make and also my all-time favorite for flavor and texture! The mushroom pieces give a slight ‘meaty’ texture and the onions, hickory smoke, and other spices pack in the flavor! Sure to please even the pickiest palates! Plus, they’re gluten-free and nut-free!
Folks, if you’ve never tried vegan oat burgers, I have to say, you’ve really been missing out! And if you have, I hope this recipe will be a new twist for you.
What do you need to make these awesome Veggie Burgers?
- Chopped onion, and mushrooms
- Onion & Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning, & Rubbed Sage – Simply heavenly together! Smells SO good!
- Quick oats – the smaller pieces cook faster and hold together better
- Braggs Liquid Aminos – you can sub Soy Sauce but this stuff tastes WAY better and it’s lower in sodium
- Wright’s Hickory Smoke – simply love this stuff! Sold in most grocery stores, it just adds that special touch.
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes – you won’t really taste these, but they add a buttery goodness you mustn’t leave out!
- Olive oil – I suggest extra virgin if you have it. Really great taste…
Steps to making the Vegan Oat Burger Recipe:
Grab all your ingredients together and put everything EXCEPT your quick oats into a medium saucepan. We’ll add the oats later!
Bring all ingredients except the oats to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
After simmering for 10 minutes, add your quick oats. Stir until well combined, remove your pot from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Your burger mixture should now be firm enough to use a scoop and shape into burgers! I use a rather heaping 1/3 cup measure, and put it into a plastic wide-mouth lid for ‘shaping’. Patting it with your hands will also do the trick!
Here’s how it looks when it’s flattened into the lid shape. Some people like to use the wide-mouth metal lid plus a ring, and this will help ‘push’ out the burger as necessary. I go for whatever works fastest at the time!!
If you spray your ‘burger mold’ with a bit of pan spray every now and then, your burgers will slide out easily!!
Bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour or until golden and crispy on both sides. Flip half way through baking time.
That’s it guys! Really quick and easy and SO tasty! I wish I could bottle this scent and send it to you. Your house will smell amazing!
This recipe makes about 12 burgers if you use a heaping 1/3 cup of mixture per burger. If you’re cooking for one or two, you might want to freeze a few (I’ll wager you’ll gobble them first).
Just put a piece of parchment or freezer paper between the burgers and they are ready to take out, reheat, and enjoy! Vegan Fast Food at it’s best!
Love nuts? Chop up half a cup of walnuts and toss those into the mix also. Adds a nice crunch a few more calories if you need some power to keep you goin’!
How will you eat your Vegan Oat Burger?
- On a bun, dripping with Vegan Nacho Cheese sauce or smeared with vegan mayo?
- On a plate, covered in steaming gravy with a side of potato wedges?
- Sliced in a wrap along with sautéed peppers and onions?
- Drenched in BBQ Sauce and served with a side of oven baked vegan cauliflower?
You’ll have to leave me a note in the comments and let me know how you love to eat these!
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- Vegan lentil burgers
- Vegan chickpea burgers
- Vegan chicken salad sandwich
- Vegan mozzarella cheese (melt some over the burgers for a few minutes!)
- Vegan nacho cheese
- Best vegan egg salad
- Easy vegan buttermilk biscuits
If you’ve tried these Smashing Smoky Mushroom Oat Burgers or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Smoky Mushroom Vegan Oat Burger
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 1 cup Chopped Onion, finely diced
- 1 cup Chopped Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 6 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos, or soy sauce if Bragg's unavailable
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp Rubbed Sage
- 1 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke, I use Wright's Hickory Smoke
- dash Cayenne Pepper
Add after simmering above ingredients:
- 3 cups Quick Oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients except the Quick Oats to a med sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- After simmering everything else for 10 minutes, add quick oats to the pan and stir to mix well. Immediately remove from heat.
- Let burger mixture rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- Now burger mixture should be firm enough to shape. Use a heaping 1/3 cup and shape in a wide-mouth mason jar lid or other similar size.
- Spray lid with pan-spray or give it a slight bit of oil to be able to turn burger out of form quickly and easily.
- Place on pan-sprayed or parchment lined baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until lightly browned, flipping after 15 minutes.