This rich and creamy vegan tomato soup is made from fresh tomatoes, lots of sautéed onion, garlic, and a little carrot for sweetness. Although it's simple and and quick to prepare, the results are fit for a king! Utterly delectable.
Ingredients for vegan tomato soup
- fresh tomatoes - just got given those beauties in the pic below by a friend. Still swooning over them.
- fresh basil - this fresh touch makes all the difference!
- onions, carrots, fresh garlic
- a few seasonings
- a bit of vegan cream cheese (some subs offered below if you don't have this on hand!)
Related recipe: Miso Sweet Potato Soup
How to make vegan tomato soup
Start by roughly chopping up a generous 2 cups of onion. (No need to make it pretty! You're going to blend it anyhow!)
Peel and chop up 2 carrots (about 1 cup chopped carrot).
Mince 4-5 cloves garlic (about 2 tablespoons minced).
Put all that in a large stock pot with two tablespoons vegan margarine or olive oil.
Sauté the carrots, onion, garlic over a low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Don't let it brown, just let it slowly sauté while you are chopping the tomatoes up!
Once the onions and carrots are soft, add your chopped fresh tomatoes to the pot.
Also add 4 cups vegan chicken-style broth or bullion/water equivalent.
Cook soup mixture over medium heat for approx. 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes are completely soft. Then add the chopped basil and let it soften for a minute or two.
Now your soup should look something like this, and smell AMAZING!
If you have an immersion blender, great. Grab it and carefully blend your soup right in the pot. If not, you'll need to blend it in batches in a blender or food processor until mostly smooth.
Return your soup to the pot and add ¼ cup Vegan cream cheese. The soup is already great, but this is truly an unbelievably tasty finishing touch. Rave reviews going to be coming your way!
Stir the cream cheese around in the soup a bit to let it melt....and you're done. And Yes, your whole family is going to LOVE you, and beg for this soup!!!
Don't have vegan cream cheese on hand?
Just decrease the water/broth added by 1 cup and finish with a cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk instead. Won't be quite as rich, but still super yummy!
Can this soup be frozen?
If you manage to have any leftovers, yes!! Let it cool and freeze in bags. Thaw by placing the bags in a bowl of warm water.
This is one of my favorite soup recipes of all time, and I'm excited for you to jump in and try it!!
More pureed vegan soups to try: Vegan Parsnip Soup
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- DIY Vegan Chicken-style Broth/Powder
- Smoky Veggie Mushroom-Oat Burger (Gluten-free)
- Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- Best Vegan Egg Salad
If you’ve tried this Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Creamy Vegan Fresh Tomato Soup
- 2 cups Chopped Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Chopped Carrot, about two carrots
- 2 tablespoons Minced Garlic, about 4-5 cloves
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Margarine, or olive oil
After sautéing the above, add:
- 8 cups Fresh Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Chicken-style seasoning or vegetable bullion equivalent
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 3 teaspoons Salt, (add more to taste)
Before blending add:
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
After blending add:
- ¼ cup Vegan Cream Cheese
- Saute onion, carrot, and garlic in vegan margarine over low heat until soft (approx 5-7 minutes).
- Then add tomatoes, water, chicken-style seasoning or bullion, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Cook tomato mixture until tomatoes are completely soft (approx 15 minutes).
- Add chopped fresh basil and let rest for a moment.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or blend in batches using a food processor or traditional blender.
- Return soup to pot and add ¼ cup vegan cream cheese. Keep warm as needed until serving. Garnish with croutons and fresh basil! SUPER yum!