This super creamy vegan broccoli and 'cheese' soup is just the kind of soul food everyone needs to enjoy on a regular basis!! You won't miss the dairy in this cashew-cream based soup! Just a few minutes to prep!
It's true. I really do love broccoli - besides being tasty and beautiful, it's outrageously healthy! Did you know that Broccoli is so loaded with Vitamin K & C that it's called a Superfood? Yeah!! And now you have a new way to make this wonderful veggie completely irresistible!
Related recipe: Vegan Broccoli Salad
What do you need to make this yummy Vegan Broccoli Soup?
- a cup of peeled baked or boiled potato
- vegan chicken-style seasoning - I make my own vegan chicken seasoning or (I often use vegan McKay's Chicken Style Broth)
- nutritional yeast flakes
- light miso paste
Related recipe: Vegan Zuppa Toscana
What are the steps to make Vegan Broccoli and 'Cheese' Soup?
Start by measuring out your raw cashew pieces into a colander.
Rinse them under hot running water for a couple minutes or let them soak in HOT water for 5 minutes, then rinse and drain.
Related recipe: Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry with Mushrooms
Add two cups of water and rinsed cashews to your blender.
Blend until completely smooth!
Now add everything else except for the broccoli and blend until smooth!
Also add your cup of peeled/cooked potato and blend until smooth!
In a medium sized sauce pan steam bite-sized pieces of broccoli in two cups of water for just a couple minutes!
See how the broccoli has turned bright green? It's still crispy, and that's perfect, because it will cook more when you add the cream sauce!
Now add the cream sauce and stir over medium heat until thickened!
Serve warm with a garnish of vegan cheese, shredded carrots, croutons, or whatever else your heart desires!
Related recipe: Cream Vegan Cauliflower Soup
→ Light Miso paste helps add a 'cheesy' flavor. Don't confuse this with dark Miso, whose flavor is MUCH stronger and would dominate the soup! If you can't find light miso paste in your grocery store, you can get it on Amazon.
→ Don't have vegan chicken stock on hand? Make your own Vegan Chicken Style Seasoning or in a pinch, sub with basic vegetable stock. I also love using McKays Vegan Chicken Seasoning, it's available on Amazon.
→Plan ahead: Make a little extra when you bake or boil potatoes earlier in the week. Then you'll have extra to quickly peel and use to make this yummy soup!
More vegan soup recipes to try:
- Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegan Parsnip Soup
- Sweet Potato Miso Soup
- Quick and Creamy Lentil Soup
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Fresh Tomato Soup
- Vegan Cream of Zucchini Soup
- The BEST Vegan Taco Soup
If you’ve tried this Vegan Broccoli Soup Recipe or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Vegan Broccoli and 'Cheese' Soup
- 1 Cup Raw Cashew pieces
- 2 cups Water
Now add to blender:
- ¼ Cup Flour, or 3 Tbsp. Cornstarch for Gluten-free
- 5 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Chicken Seasoning , or Vegetable Bullion
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 tablespoon Refined (neutral flavored) coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon White Miso Paste
- 2 tsp Seasoned Salt, add more to taste after thickening step
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 cup Potato , (peeled and cooked)
In a medium sized saucepan prepare:
- 4 cups Broccoli , chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups Water
- Measure out your raw cashew pieces into a colander.
- Rinse the cashews under hot running water for a couple minutes or let them soak in HOT water for 5 minutes, then rinse and drain.
- Add two cups of water and rinsed cashews to your blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Now add everything else except for the broccoli to the blender. Blend until smooth!
- In a medium sized sauce pan steam bite-sized pieces of broccoli in two cups of water for just a couple minutes!
- You want the broccoli to turn bright green, but still be quite crunchy. (It will cook more when you add the cream sauce and thicken.) Do NOT drain the broccoli!
- Now add the cream sauce and stir over medium heat until thickened!
- Serve warm with a garnish of vegan cheese, shredded carrots or croutons!