Summer and Zucchini. They were both here in such glorified abundance, and now they are both almost gone. What happened to summer? I’ve been outside trying to catch those last few warm rays of sun and get my garden harvest in before a hard frost. I don’t think the eventual lack of squash will make my kids sad tho. 😉 “Squash again mom??” So in these final days of gardening with monster zucchini (read small baseball bat size) and yellow squash invading my fridge, we are getting creative.
Enter all things squash. Slice it, bake it, fry it, shred it, freeze it, or make treats out of it like these amazing Vegan Lemon Zucchini Muffins over at the awesome Vegan Yumminess blog!!! The easiest of all of these is my favorite to share with you today and it uses a mountain of Zucchini! (A small but literal mountain).
My best friend who does NOT like squash shared this recipe idea with me – because it does NOT taste like Zucchini in the end. It’s creamy, rich, earthy, flavorful, but ultimately the eater should not be able to correlate squash as the base. It’s YOUR secret. Make something everyone can love and yet it’s squash! I also hid a gigantic mild jalapeño in the mix (see pics below) creating a nice flavor boost without too much spice.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it takes almost no time at all. Super supper in 15 minutes. Done. I love that it has cashews in it also. As vegans we can sometimes lack a little of the healthy fats. This recipe takes care of that!
I used roasted cashews, actually toasted cashews in my recipe because I lacked roasted ones in my pantry and I didn’t have the patience to pre-heat the oven. Toasting them in a pan on the stovetop works fine, but just FYI watch them closely because they can easily burn. Trust me. 😉 So if you have roasted cashews on hand, great. If not, roast them, toast them, or if you must, just use them raw. Whatever you decide, this soup is still super yummy, nourishing, satisfying, gratifying, what else???
Enjoy! See you all next time for a life-changing vegan cheese recipe!!!! Can’t WAIT to share it with you.
Vegan Cream of Zucchini
- 12 C. Roughly chopped Zucchini and yellow squash
- 1 C. Diced Onion
- 1 Diced Jalapeno pepper
- 2 Cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. Braggs Liquid Amminos
- 1/2 C. Water more or less for desired thickness
- 1 C. Roasted Cashews if using salted/roasted then decrease Garlic salt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start by lightly sautéing diced onion, jalapeño, and minced garlic with olive oil in the bottom of a soup kettle over medium heat.
- Once onion is softened, add squash.
- Place lid on kettle and steam over medium heat for approx 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Blend roasted cashews, 1/2 C. of water and 1 cup of soup mixture until smooth. Add Braggs, salt, and the rest of soup mixture and blend until smooth (you may need to do this last part in increments depending on your blender size!). Be careful while blending, it’s super hot!
- Return blended soup to pot and keep warm until ready to serve! Salt and pepper to taste! Super yummy with a fresh tomato sandwich!