One of the easiest and tastiest soups you will ever make, Vegan Taco Soup is the epitome of soul-satisfying!! Grab your ingredients together and prepare for a delicious south-of-the-border experience!
This vegan taco soup is on the top of my go-to recipe list right now – it’s easy, fast, cheap, and SO tasty! The kids like it, hubby loves it, it’s protein packed, can be garnished into a crowd-pleasing fancy looking dinner for any type of company (vegan or not), and is totally slurp-worthy, lip-smacking delicious!
What you’ll need to make vegan taco soup:
- beans – I like variety so I use a can each of pinto, kidney, and black beans
- vegetable broth – a good quality broth makes ALL the difference. I highly recommend either Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base (my favorite for this recipe and found in many grocery stores) or McKay’s Vegan Chicken Seasoning.
- taco seasoning – buy your favorite brand or use the make-your-own seasoning mix in the notes section of the recipe below
- sliced olives
- canned tomatoes with green chilies – otherwise known as ‘Rotel’, adds great flavor without being particularly spicy
- veggie crumbles – the vegan Morning star crumbles make this soups absolutely swoon-worthy. Alternatively a smaller amount (around 1/4 cup) of TVP (textured vegetable protein) is less processed and still very tasty. You can also omit this altogether and the soup is still fabulous!
- diced onion – sautéed onion adds great flavor to this soup!
- lemon juice – or lime!
- corn – frozen or canned (be sure to drain if canned)
- nutritional yeast flakes – totally optional but adds great flavor
How to make Vegan Taco Soup:
Sauté diced onion until clear and soft in the bottom of medium soup pot with a tablespoon of olive oil (Photo 1).
Add taco seasoning (or taco seasoning mix from recipe notes), yeast flakes, and veggie crumbles (if using) and sauté a moment or two longer (Photo 2).
Add remaining ingredients (except lemon juice) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with pot lid partially off for 10-15 minutes (Photo 3 & 4). Remove from heat, add fresh squeezed lemon juice and serve!
Fun Garnishes for Taco Soup:
Toppings for vegan taco soup are endless – and they make my mouth water just talking about it: Vegan sour cream or cheese, crushed tortilla chips, baked tortilla strips, sliced jalapeños, lemon or lime slices, avocado dices or guacamole, green onions, and chopped cilantro… tell me all your favorites in the comments!!
Other Ways to Make Vegan Taco Soup:
In the Crock Pot:
In a skillet sauté the onions until clear, adding the veggie crumbles for the last couple of minutes along with the taco seasoning and nutritional yeast flakes. Transfer sautéed mixture to a crockpot and add remaining ingredients except for the fresh lemon juice. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. Add the lemon juice just before serving.
In the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker:
Use the sauté mode on your pressure cooker to sauté the onions until clear, adding the veggie crumbles for the last couple of minutes along with the taco seasoning and nutritional yeast flakes. Cancel the sauté mode and add remaining ingredients (except for the lemon juice). Choose ‘soup’ setting on your instant pot for 15 minutes, or ‘Manual – high pressure’ for 4 minutes. Allow natural release for ten minutes, then manually release the rest of the pressure. Stir in fresh lemon juice, top with your favorite garnishes, and enjoy!
More Vegan Mexican Recipes that I know you’ll love:
If you’ve tried this Vegan Taco Soup recipe or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
Vegan Taco Soup
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp taco seasoning, or add seasoning mix listed in notes
- 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 cup veggie crumbles, optional - I use vegan Morning Star crumbles
Add and Simmer:
- 4 cups vegetable broth, I use 3 tsp Better than Bouillion Vegetable Base or McKay's Vegan Chicken Seasoning mixed with water
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, include juices
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinse and drain
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, rinse and drain
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinse and drain
- 1 cup frozen corn, or one can corn drained
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
After removing from heat add:
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Sauté diced onion over low heat until clear and soft in the bottom of medium soup pot with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add taco seasoning (or taco seasoning mix from recipe notes), nutritional yeast flakes, and veggie crumbles (if using). Saute for another moment or two.
- Add vegetable broth mixture, canned diced tomatoes with green chilis, canned beans (rinsed and drained), corn, and sliced olives. Bring soup to a boil. Once a boil is reached, reduce heat and simmer with pot lid partially off for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh squeezed lemon juice. Serve with your favorite garnishes!