This easy vegan summer squash recipe is truly delightfully irresistible! Use your garden or farmer's market fresh yellow squash and zucchini to create this simple side dish that tastes amazing alongside other summer veggies or topping your baked potato!
Related recipe: Vegan Baked Cauliflower
What you'll need to make this yummy squash recipe:
- yellow and zucchini squash - combined as you like
- an onion - yellow or white
- nutritional yeast flakes - adds a wonderful 'cheesiness'
- McKay's Vegan Chicken Style Seasoning or my homemade Vegan Chicken-like Broth Powder - you can sub your favorite vegan chicken-style broth in place but if you haven't tried McKay's I highly recommend it!
- olive oil - just a bit for richness
Related recipe: Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
How to make savory summer squash:
Dice (or slice if they're small!) yellow and zucchini squash into pieces about ¼ inch thick. Add diced onion, squash, olive oil, ½ cup water and seasonings to a skillet or heavy bottomed pan with a fitted lid.
Expert cooking tip: The lid is absolutely essential for this recipe. We're not going for sautéed squash here, but more of a tender squash with an amazing savory broth. Without the lid, all that lovely broth will just evaporate!
Cook squash mixture over low-medium heat for about 5-8 minutes or just until squash is fork-tender. Add up to an additional ½ cup of water if needed during cooking process. Taste test and add salt if needed!
Looking for more ways to use up summer squash? This stuffed Portobello mushroom recipe uses diced zucchini or yellow squash!
To serve this vegan squash:
You can serve this lovely yellow and zucchini squash alongside other summer vegetables as a side dish or even as a topping for baked potatoes! The broth in this recipe is utterly slurp-worthy and really dresses up a potato!
It is also a great side dish with pasta, such as this vegan baked feta pasta, or this vegan creamy spinach artichoke pasta.
Lastly, you can serve vegan yellow squash as the veggie side next to some vegan seitan steaks of a vegan rice loaf.
Other vegan side dishes:
- Mashed butternut squash with white beans
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with maple balsamic dressing
- Vegan wild rice casserole
Other easy summer recipes:
If you’ve tried Vegan Savory Squash or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Vegan Savory Yellow Squash
- 4 cups Diced or sliced yellow or zucchini squash, about ¼ inch thick
- ½ cup Finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon McKay's Vegan Chickenstyle Seasoning, or substitute
- 2 tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- ½ cup Water
- Dice (or slice if they’re small!) yellow and zucchini squash into pieces about ¼ inch thick.
- Add finely diced onion, squash, olive oil, ½ cup water and seasonings to a skillet or heavy bottomed pan with a fitted lid.
- Cook squash mixture over low-medium heat for about 5-8 minutes or just until squash is fork-tender. Add up to an additional ½ cup of water if needed during cooking process. Taste test and add salt if needed! Serve!
I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this recipe SO MUCH! I liked zucchini and squash before but now I get super excited about them on a daily basis. I could eat this every day like little kids want French fries. You're my hero!!
I'm so happy to hear that!!
Delicious and easy. Will definetly make again.
So glad you enjoyed it!