This homemade cabbage salsa recipe is super easy to put together, insanely delicious, and super healthy too! Mexican pico de gallo combined with fresh crunchy green cabbage pairs perfectly with tortilla chips, quesadillas, tacos etc.!
What you need to make fresh Cabbage Salsa:
- ripe tomatoes
- red onion
- fresh or pickled jalapenos
- lemon or lime juice
- green cabbage
- ground cayenne pepper
- seasoned salt
How to make fresh Cabbage Salsa:
Finely dice red onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro and add to medium sized mixing bowl (Photo 1).
Add lemon or lime juice, salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and seasoned salt and stir to combine.
Chop or shred green cabbage (Photo 2) and add to pico de gallo mixture. Stir to combine and serve (Photo 3).
How long will Cabbage Salsa last?
Cabbage salsa is at it’s best when eaten within 4-5 hours of making it. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy a slightly softer pico de gallo up to several days later
How to cut your cabbage:
You can chop or shred the cabbage according to your preference. My favorite way to prepare the cabbage is to slice 1/4 inch slabs of cabbage, then stack them and cut first vertically and then horizontally, creating fairly square cabbage bits.
Want to make it spicier?
Add a Seranno pepper or two in addition to the jalapeño to amp up the spice!
What to serve Cabbage Salsa with?
Basically anything Mexican Inspired! Here are some ideas:
- tortilla chips
- tostada topping
- with Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Vegan Black Bean and Rice Burrito Bowl
- with Vegan Mexican Rice
- topping Vegan Tamales
If you’ve tried this Cabbage Salsa or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Cabbage Salsa - Mexican Coleslaw
- 4 cups chopped or shredded cabbage
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves finely diced or minced garlic
- 1 tsp seasoned salt or more to taste
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Finely dice red onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro and add to medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add lemon or lime juice, salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and seasoned salt and stir to combine.
- Chop or shred green cabbage and add to pico de gallo mixture. Stir to combine and serve.