This vegan Wild Rice Casserole recipe is rich and creamy - one of my all time favorite holiday side dishes. Created based off a non-vegan family recipe, this dairy-free rendition tastes nearly identical to the original and is the ultimate comfort food.
Wishing I could give each of you readers a bite of this. It's AMAZING. Truly decadent... The dish I crave the most every Thanksgiving. Yes, even over dessert!! The creamy white béchamel sauce with the mushrooms and the natural rich nutty flavor of the wild rice? Just too good!!! Ok, rant over... Here are the steps!
Related recipe: Vegan Cheesy Rice and Cauliflower Casserole
Steps to make vegan Wild Rice Mushroom Casserole:
Rinse the wild rice under cool running water for several minutes.
Add 3 cups of water, a pinch of salt, and wild rice to a lidded pot. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 45 minutes with the pot lid on.
Test rice for softness and then drain. Most of the Wild Rice grains should split open but may still be somewhat chewy.
Add ingredients for white sauce to blender.
Blend until completely smooth.
Dice onion and sauté in vegan margarine in medium saucepan over low heat until onion is clear. Avoid browning.
Pour white sauce from blender into pan with sautéed onions and garlic. Heat over med-low heat until thickened.
Add sliced mushrooms to thickened white sauce. Remove pan from heat. Stir to combine.
Prepare baking dish 8X8 (or comparable size) by rubbing vegan margarine over surfaces.
Begin by spreading half of the wild rice evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
Spread half of the white mushroom béchamel sauce over the wild rice.
Sprinkle the second half of the wild rice over the white sauce layer.
End with a smooth layer of the rest of the white mushroom sauce.
Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for about 60 minutes or until lightly browned on the surface and edges of the casserole.
Enjoy this rich and incredibly satisfying vegan Wild Rice Mushroom Casserole - don't tell anyone it's vegan and they'll have NO idea!
Related recipe: Creamy Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Pasta
Why use silken tofu in this recipe?
Silken tofu and water combined in equal parts make a great substitute for dairy half-and-half. If you have access to unsweetened non-dairy half-and-half you could sub 2 cups of that in place of the silken tofu and water and add 1 more tablespoon of flour.
Is this recipe healthy?
Well, that's kind of a difficult question... It's definitely healthier than the dairy family recipe that inspired me, but it's not something I'd eat every day either. But a couple times a year for something special? By ALL means!
Vegan Wild Rice Casserole goes well with:
- Baked Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower
- Vegan Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Vegan Seitan Steaks
- Best Easy Vegan Gravy
- Fresh Cranberry Relish
- Easy Buttermilk Vegan Biscuits
If you’ve tried this Vegan Wild Rice Casserole or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Vegan Wild Rice Mushroom Casserole
Cook Wild Rice:
- 4 oz Wild Rice, or ½ cup heaping
- 3 cups Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Onion, small, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Butter, or margarine
Create White Sauce:
Fold in Mushrooms:
- 1 cup Sliced Fresh Button Mushrooms, heaping
Cook the wild rice:
- Wash rice thoroughly in cold water. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil in 3 cups water and simmer for about 45 minutes. Drain well.
White Sauce Instructions:
- Saute minced onion in vegan butter over low heat until clear. Avoid browning.
- Blend white sauce ingredients (silken tofu, water, garlic powder, salt, vegan cream cheese) together until smooth. Pour into saucepan with sautéed onion mixture. Heat until thickened. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Mix fresh sliced mushrooms into white sauce and prepare for casserole assembly.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat baking dish 8x8 (or equivalent) with vegan butter.
- Spread half of the cooked wild rice evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Follow with half of the mushroom white sauce. Sprinkle remainder of the wild rice over the white sauce, and finish with a smooth layer of the rest of the white sauce.
- Bake uncovered at 325 for approximately 1 hour or until lightly browned on edges and top of casserole! Enjoy!