Simple and creamy, this easy vegan gravy recipe comes together in about 5 minutes and is rich and full – the perfect complement to mashed potatoes, vegan seitan steaks, biscuits, or just about anything you can dream of!
This vegan cashew gravy is oil-free and gluten-free.
One of the most beautiful attributes of this gravy is that there are no lumps! Not ever!!! Since you’re blending the cashew base of this gravy, it’s ultra smooth to start with and naturally lump (and worry) free!
It is delicious enough to be served as part of a holiday dinner. By the way, if you need more holiday inspiration, check out my favorite vegan holiday recipes!
What you need for this awesome vegan gravy:
- Raw cashews
- Braggs liquid aminos (a flavorful alternative to soy sauce that is gluten free and lower in sodium)
- Onion and garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Cornstarch or flour
This vegan gravy is made without oil and can be made gluten-free without flour – just choose the cornstarch option in the recipe card!
You will also need:
- A blender
- A small saucepan
- A whisk
How to make Vegan Gravy:
First, gather all your ingredients (cashews, liquid aminos, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and flour or cornstarch) and place them in the blender with one cup of water.
Blend until smooth, add another cup of water, and pulse to combine. Then pour gravy into medium saucepan.
Whisk gravy over medium heat until thickened – this will take just a couple of minutes!
Remove from heat and serve after cooling a bit! (see it steaming in the photo!)
Expert cooking tip:
If you think your gravy is a bit thin to start with, please note that it tends to thicken a bit as it cools, so it’s nice not to have it super-thick to start with!
This vegan gravy is perfect for:
- Vegan steaks
- Nut roast
- Mashed potatoes
- Pot pie (or use it in my vegan tater tot casserole!)
If you’d like to prep this gravy ahead of time:
I often blend all the ingredients together and store in a Mason jar in the refrigerator. That way I can just pull the jar out, pour the gravy in the pan, and thicken it up in just a couple of minutes! The gravy will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan gravy as much as my family does!
Other vegan recipes you will love:
- Fresh cranberry relish
- Easy buttermilk vegan biscuits
- Tender vegan steaks
- Tofu-ricotta stuffed shells
- Creamy vegan stroganoff
If you’ve tried this Easy Vegan Gravy or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Easy Vegan Gravy
- Small saucepan
- Blend all ingredients from the cashews to the garlic powder with one cup of water until completely smooth. Add second cup of water and pulse to combine. Taste the mixture and see if it needs additional salt or pepper - the liquid aminos might give the gravy enough saltiness.
- Pour blender contents into medium sized saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking continuously until thickened - this typically happens as soon as the mixture comes to a gently boil. Add up to ½ cup extra water if you prefer a thinner gravy. Cool for a few minutes and serve!