Transform your tofu into the most delicious BBQ Tofu Bacon! Slice it, season it, and bake it, - tofu bacon has that perfect chewy texture that is so yummy in a vegan BLT!
What you need for tofu bacon
Tofu: Not all tofu is created equal. 😉 In order to get that perfect "chewy" texture, you need to start of with 1 package of Extra Firm tofu. The texture is far superior for this type of thing. That being said, I prefer regular 'firm' tofu in my morning breakfast tofu scramble.
½ BBQ Sauce: I love flavoring my bacon with BBQ sauce for that smoky, sweet & salty flavor combination. This one by Organicville is our favorite, and we are always stocked up at home!
Seasonings: Each of these adds a little depth of flavor to this vegan bacon.
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional yeast flakes (Nooch!!)
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder + ½ teaspoon garlic powder (get them together in bulk here!). I absolutely love the subtle sweetness that onion powder adds. And I don't think I have to explain why adding garlic is ALWAYS a good idea. 🙂
- Cayenne pepper - just a tiny bit, unless you like things spicier!
- Sea salt - a pinch
How to make crispy tofu bacon
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper for a non-stick, no-mess option.
Step 2: Drain as much liquid as possible from your extra firm tofu - gently press down on it without crushing it. Slice into ¼ inch thick strips about 1.5 to 2 inches wide, depending on the shape of your tofu block.
Step 3: Whisk together the vegan barbecue sauce and the rest of the seasonings. Use a basting brush to generously brush both sides of each tofu piece and place on baking sheet. (I brushed one side, laid brushed side down on baking sheet and then brushed the top side.)
Step 4: Bake in oven for about 25 minutes, or until crispy. Keep an eye on it during the last few minutes of baking to make sure the BBQ sauce doesn't start burning.
Add to your BLT sandwich or enjoy on its own!
The ultimate vegan BLT sandwich
Adding vegan tofu, lettuce, and tomato to a sandwich is already a winning combination, but here's how to take your vegan BLT to the next level:
My favorite store-bought vegan cheese for sandwiches is Chao by Field Roast (we like the creamy original) or the Smoked Gouda from Follow Your Heart. But of course, if you've been around for a while, you'll see that I have my own vegan smoked Gouda recipe you should try!!
Oh, and you've GOT to try these vegan bacon bits - so good!! They're another great vegan "bacon" idea, and delicious in this broccoli salad (which, by the way, makes a great side dish for BLT sandwiches!)
Whatever you decide to add to your sandwich, I know it will be AMAZING because of the smoky BBQ vegan bacon!! If you end up making this, please take a picture and tag me on INSTAGRAM or FACEBOOK. I love seeing your creations!
Love sandwiches? Me too! Here are some more vegan recipes to make amazing sandwiches of all kinds:
- Vegan Chickpea Burger Patties
- Vegan Oat Burgers
- Vegan Lentil Burgers
- BBQ Mushroom Sandwich
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- Vegan Egg Salad
- Vegan Chicken Salad
Vegan BLT Tofu Sandwich
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with olive oil for easier cleanup and non-stick baking.
- Grab your package of Extra Firm tofu and drain it. Gently press to remove as much moisture as possible without crushing the tofu. Slice into ¼ inch thick strips about 1 ½ to 2 inches wide,, depending on the shape of your tofu block
- Whisk together the vegan barbecue sauce and other ingredients and generously brush both sides of each tofu piece and place on baking sheet. (I brushed one side, laid brushed side down on baking sheet and then brushed the top side.)
- Bake in oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until crispy. Watch during the last few minutes of baking to make sure your barbecue sauce does not burn! Add to your BLT sandwich or enjoy straight up!