Other than the fact that I can’t seem to spell ‘barbecue’ properly (thankful for autocorrect spelling 😉 ) I simply cannot imagine a more sumptuous barbecue tofu sandwich! I mean tofu really transforms itself well!! Slice it, coat it, bake it, and it has that perfect chewy texture that is so yummy in a BLT!
As I’ve mentioned before, not all tofu is created equal. 😉 For our purpose of “chewy” here, you need to start of with Extra Firm tofu. The texture is far superior for this type of thing. That being said, I prefer regular ‘firm’ tofu in my morning breakfast scramble.
I used a simple organic store-bought vegan barbecue sauce and it was great. I think it was by Organicville. Basic ingredients, sweetened with agave. Very pleased with it. If you don’t have store-bought and feel like mixing up your own there are some great recipes out there for that, too.
Did you see that slice of cheese in the sandwich? No, it isn’t dairy. 😉 But it’s just as good. Really. There are two (in my humble opinion) really great vegan sliced cheese types (I have tried so many in my search to meet my need for ‘cheese’!) One is by Field Roast and is called Chao (we like the creamy original), and the other is by Follow Your Heart and the Smoked Gouda was incredible on these sandwiches. (And No, I’m not paid a penny to tell you about them!!)
Maybe you all in warmer parts of the country have some young and yummy greens to pluck from your garden to put on these sandwiches?? If you do, I’m soo
jealous happy for you! It snowed a little here today (yes April snow showers), but at least the grocery stores have spring lettuce mixes available for the likes of me! 😉
Vegan BLT Tofu Sandwich
- 1 Package Extra Firm tofu
- 1/2 C. Vegan Barbecue Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare baking sheet by brushing with olive oil.
- Grab your package of Extra Firm tofu and drain it. Gently press to remove as much moisture as possible without crushing the tofu. Slice into 1/4 in. thick strips about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide depending on your tofu shape/size.
- Whisk together Barbecue sauce and other ingredients and generously brush both sides of each tofu piece and place on baking sheet. (I brushed one side, laid brushed side down on baking sheet and then brushed the top side.)
- Bake in oven for approx. 25 minutes or until crispy! Add to your BLT sandwich or enjoy straight up!