Ya’ll, I really do consider myself a northerner. But these hash browns. They have something to do with my roots, I do believe. 😉 I was born in Texas. There, I said it. No, I don’t talk with a drawl, but sometimes, I just need somethin’ savory for breakfast! And these homestyle vegan baked breakfast hash browns really hit the spot for me. 😉
Back to northern style talkin’. Find you some tasty taters; I mean look for yellow-fleshed yukon gold or similar variety of potatoes. 🙂 Wash well, and a slice and dice into 1/4 inch sized chunks. Yes, leave the skins on. We don’t have time to peel them and they taste even better this way.
Put all the little tater chunks into a mixing bowl and sprinkle all the seasonings, salt and olive oil over them. Toss them in the mixture well to coat on all sides. Then pour all the little delectable hash-browns-to-be onto your prepared baking tray and slide it in the oven. Set your timer for 15 minutes and trot off to fix your hair, get dressed, change a diaper (your child’s 😉 ), or whatever else it is you haven’t done at this way-to-early hour of the morning. If you find a spare second, sneak back and toss those hash browns a bit in the middle of baking (FYI I usually just grab a potholder and shake the tray around a bit. No careful turning going on here.)
At the end of 15 minutes, fork test (and since I know you’ll probably try to taste test also, be careful, they are HOT 😉 ) for tenderness. If you are satisfied, pull them out and prepare to feast, otherwise given them a couple more minutes. A little ketchup and tabasco are amazing companions. A slice of toast with avocado on it just sends it up another notch!!
Homestyle Baked Breakfast Hashbrowns
Dice up some taters and whip these breakfast hash browns together in a flash! Down-home-south-west-style!!!
- 6 C. Diced Potatoes
- 3 T. Olive Oil
- 3 tsp. Dried Chives
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Salt or Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and prep your tray with pan spray or a brush of olive oil.
- Select and wash your potatoes. I’m biased to Yukon Gold variety or something similar for that buttery flavor. Slice and dice them with the skins on (yeah no peeling needed here!) into approx. 1/4 in. squares.
- Toss those diced potatoes into a bowl, sprinkle seasonings and and olive oil over, and mix to coat well.
- Pour the hash-browns-to-be out on the tray. Shake the tray to spread them out evenly as possible, slide them in the oven, set your timer for 15 minutes. If you can, stir once after about 7-8 minutes. Fork test at the end of baking time. Should be tender. If not, give ’em a couple more minutes. Then serve with ketchup and (and Tabasco if you dare). So, so good!