This Vegan Lentil Soup recipe is creamy, flavorful and filling - a favorite with vegans and omnis alike! Different from many traditional lentil soup recipes, this one has no tomatoes but uses a creamy coconut-milk base instead! Thrown together quickly with a handful of ingredients, your kitchen time is minimal but you end up with a soup that is both satisfying and and has a hint of 'fancy'.
I just can't avoid saying just briefly here that lentils are super amazing - SO good for us! Each little legume is a powerhouse of protein, folate, zinc, and iron! That must be why I feel so energized after eating this!! Anyway, off my soap box, let me explain how to make this vegan lentil soup!!
Related recipe: Sweet Potato Miso Soup
What are the steps to making this Creamy Vegan Lentil Soup?
Start with brown lentils. Easy to find, they are the perfect texture and flavor for this recipe. Measure into a colander and rinse well.
Add rinsed lentils to medium soup pot. Mince onion, chop carrots, and break cauliflower into large bite-sized pieces and add to soup pot also.
- Plenty of minced garlic is a must here, so don't skimp!
- Ground cumin - ya'll know it's good!
- That pink stuff is Himalayan Salt, but any sea salt will do!
- That brown blob in the bottom corner of the photo below is what we need to talk about. It's Superior Taste, Better than Bouillion Vegetable Base. If you have never tried this stuff, it's a must. Just read the reviews on Amazon and you'll know I speak the truth!! It's available in most grocery stores and I highly recommend it!!
Add water, garlic, and seasonings to the pot.
Stir to mix and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer with pot lid on for approx 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Once the lentils are soft, add the frozen green peas, and can of coconut milk. Let peas cook for another 5 minutes or so.
Definitely go with canned coconut milk here as opposed to the more watery version in larger containers. The rich creaminess of canned coconut milk makes this recipe sumptuous!
Taste and add more salt as desired.
Serve this stew with some awesome crunchy bread, perhaps this yummy Tofu Egg Salad spread, and a fresh greens salad. I guarantee that you'll not only feel like you've strengthened your body, but also fed your soul.
Are you in love with lentils yet?? Can't wait for you to try this!!
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- Mediterranean Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- Vegan lentil burgers
- Easy Cheesy Baked Vegan Cauliflower
- Vegan Smoked Gouda Cheese
- Creamy Fresh Vegan Tomato Soup
If you’ve tried this Creamy Vegan Lentil Soup recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Quick and Creamy Curried Lentil Stew (Vegan)
- 1 ½ C. Brown Lentils
- ½ C. Chopped Onion
- 4 cloves Minced Garlic
- ½ C. Sliced Carrots
- 2 C. Cauliflower pieces, bite-size is fine
- 2 Tbsp. Superior Taste Better than bullion Vegetable base, heaping
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 ½ tsp. Cumin
- 4 C. Water
Add-ins for last 5-10 minutes of cook time:
- 1 14 oz. can Coconut Milk
- ½ C. Green Peas
- Place everything except for the peas and coconut milk into medium sized soup pot.
- Bring to a boil uncovered.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are done.
- Add the frozen peas and coconut milk and cook for approximately another 5 minutes.
- Add more salt to taste. Serve warm!