Moist, and fluffy, with the perfect light sweetness, this is the best Vegan Cornbread any baker could wish for! Combine it with chili, soup, or just eat it straight-up with loads of jam - any way you cut it, it's a solid win.
Cornbread traditionally includes, eggs, dairy milk, and often butter. But this amazing vegan cornbread is moist and fluffy and made without any of it's dairy counterparts. And a bonus? This vegan cornbread is made without refined sugar! 10 minutes of prep time + 20 minutes of bake time = delicious vegan cornbread in 30 minutes or less!!
What makes this Vegan Cornbread moist and fluffy?
Ground flax seed is our friend! While being super healthy for us, it also retains moisture and binds, similar to the traditional function of eggs.
The steps to make amazing Vegan Cornbread:
Measure out dry ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl.
Whisk the dry ingredients together to be sure to distribute the baking powder and salt well.
Mix together wet ingredients (oil, agave, almond milk) in a separate small bowl.
Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix together well.
Your cornbread batter should look like this!
Pour the batter into a pan-sprayed or oiled 8X8 baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-22 minutes or until a light golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so, and enjoy!
Want to make vegan cornbread muffins instead?
Just pan-spray or oil 10 muffin tin spaces and spoon in the batter until the muffin space is about ¾ full. (About ⅓ cup of batter). Bake for slightly less time 17-20 minutes, keeping an eye on the muffin tops for light browning...and done!!
Expert Cooking Tips:
- For the non-dairy milk, I usually choose unsweetened almond milk. Your favorite vegan milk substitute is fine.
- For this recipe, I prefer fine-ground cornmeal. If you like a coarser cornmeal, you could try medium-grind cornmeal.
- Golden flax seed meal or brown flax seed meal work equally as well in this recipe.
Want to make this vegan cornbread without oil?
Sure, just substitute applesauce for the oil. The texture is not quite as light, but still super tasty!
What should I eat with this vegan cornbread?
Well, my kids would tell you that this is good all by itself, smothered in vegan butter and jam. But, I think it's amazing accompanied by this Creamy Fresh Vegan Tomato Soup, this family favorite 20 Min Favorite Vegan Corn Chowder or a simple pot of chili or pinto beans!
If you’ve tried this Amazing Vegan Cornbread recipe please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Amazing Vegan Cornbread
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup Almond Milk, or other non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup Agave Nectar
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil, or other neutral flavored oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pan spray or oil an 8X8 baking dish.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together in a separate small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well combined.
- Pour combined ingredients into 8X8 baking dish. Place in oven on middle rack.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cornbread rest for about 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Cant wait to try this out! Thanks!