Mexican Quinoa Salad that is fresh, hearty, and flavorful! Quinoa, corn, black beans, cucumbers and tomatoes are tossed in a dressing made from cilantro, fresh squeezed lemon, a bit of olive oil, and sautéed onions and garlic! Simply tasty!!!
I used to look down my nose at quinoa, just a little. I mean, it kinda looks like little fish eggs or something, right??!! But recently, I just can’t get enough of it! Quinoa is:
- Versatile – you can use it in sweet or savory dishes
- Full of Nutrition – literally little powerhouses of health
- Has Great Texture – I love how it’s a little bit chewy
- Satisfying – it really fills me up!
Because I know we all like to eat healthy, but often have limited time, don’t be daunted by the fact that you need to cook the quinoa to make this salad! Quinoa actually cooks up SUPER quick (about 15-20 minutes)!
Now for the Steps to make Mexican Quinoa Salad!
First, rinse your quinoa! (Photo 1) (Don’t skip this! It gets rid of any bitter taste.)
Add the water and cook your quinoa for about 15-20 minutes. (Photo 2). After it’s finished cooking, spread it on a baking try so it will cool faster! (Photo 3)
While your quinoa is cooking, roughly dice onion, mince garlic, and sauté in a bit of olive oil over low heat. (Photo 4).
Once onion has turned a bit clear and soft, combine sautéed ingredients with lemon juice, salt, cilantro, and olive oil. Blend until smooth! (Photos 5 & 6) You can add some fresh jalapeño to the blender if you like spicy!!
Chop your tomatoes, and cucumber, rinse and drain canned black beans, drain canned corn, and add all ingredients to the bowl (Photo 7), drizzle prepared dressing over and mix together. (Photos 8 & 9). You can enjoy immediately or chill for a few hours for a refreshing cool salad.
I prefer to use grape tomatoes because they don’t break down so much over time. Any leftovers of this salad are great the next day.
Pretty much swooning over the lovely green lemon-cilantro dressing in the pic below!! I want some more of this salad right now!!
Like this recipe? You might also enjoy:
- Ginger-Lemon Tahini Dressing with Chopped Salad and Tofu Strips
- Favorite Summer Edamame Salad
- Wedding Pasta Salad
- Curried Vegan Potato Salad with Tofu
If you’ve tried this Mexican Quinoa Salad recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Mexican Quinoa Salad (Vegan)
Cook the Quinoa:
- 3/4 cup Quinoa (rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup Water
Make the Dressing:
- 1 cup Onion Roughly Chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil + 2tsp for Sautéing onion and garlic
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (Not packed)
- Add a few slices of fresh jalapeño for spice if you like it!
- 1 can Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 1 can Corn Drained
- 1 cup Diced Tomato Prefer grape tomatoes for long-lasting texture
- 1 cup Diced Cucumber
Cooking the Quinoa:
- Rinse Quinoa under cool running water for a couple minutes.
- Add to water in medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Once boiling, add lid and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for approx. 15-20 minutes checking at around 15 minutes for moisture level to prevent burning.
- Once done spread on baking sheet to cool more quickly.
- Roughly Chop onion and mince garlic into frying pan with two teaspoons olive oil. Sauté' over low heat until onion is clear and soft.
- Combine with other dressing ingredients and puree in blender until smooth.
- Drain and Rinse can of black beans as well as corn. Chop tomatoes and cucumber to desired size.
- Add room temp or cooled quinoa to other ingredients and pour dressing over all, mixing gently.
- Eat at room temp or chill for several hours for a refreshingly cool salad. Serve with a garnish of cilantro.