It’s a fact. This pasta salad is a favorite. Even people that tell me they don’t normally like pasta salad love this pasta salad! I’ve served it at burger cookouts (yes mine were veggie), baby showers, potlucks, wedding showers, picnics by the lake…and…(drum roll please)…..it was even served at my wedding!!! (No, don’t look at me that way! 😉 We had an awesome spread of picnic style food!)
If you don’t believe it, just try it – and well, I’m pretty sure you’ll love it! Maybe you’ll even make it for…well I’ll let you fill in the blank with your upcoming adventure!
Just a couple of tips. I normally say, ‘use Extra Virgin Olive Oil’. You could use that in this recipe, but my fave is just regular Olive oil. It has enough taste without being overpowering in flavor.
Making this ahead of time gives the tofu and pasta extra time to marinade and soak up the awesome flavors. But if you do let it sit overnight in the fridge, be sure to taste test right before adding the cucumbers and tomatoes. You might need a little extra lemon and salt for it to have that just right perky taste!
I recommend Spike in this recipe. It is truly the best (and I think one of the healthiest) seasoned salts on the market. It’s carried at many health food stores and some grocery stores. Click on the pic for an Amazon affiliate link if you are interested:
Finally, you can use whatever tomatoes you like best in this recipe. But, one thing I like about using grape tomatoes is that if you have any leftovers the tomatoes stay nice and don’t make everything else super watery. The cucumber dices can get a little soft, but generally are still good for a day or two. As mentioned in the recipe tho, don’t add the cucumbers and tomatoes until just before serving.
I think ya’ll are good to go! Message me with any questions and let me know how it turns out for you!
Perfect Picnic Pasta Salad with Tofu (vegan)
- 14 oz. firm or extra firm tofu -cubed
- 1/2 C. Olive Oil
- 1/4 C. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp. Spike or Mrs. Dash
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 Can Black Olives drained
- 1 lb. Multi-Colored Rotini
- 1 14oz. package Grape Tomatoes or 3 tomatoes wedged
- 1 English Cucumber Diced
- Drain and squeeze tofu gently to remove most of the liquid. Cube and set aside.
- Whisk seasonings, olive oil, and lemon juice together in the bottom of a large bowl. Add cubed tofu and drained olives and mix gently with spoon.
- Cook multicolored rotini according to directions. Rinse with cool water and drain well. Add to bowl and gently mix tofu mixture and pasta. Place in refrigerator to marinate for a couple of hours or overnight (or just until chilled if that’s all the time you’ve got!!).
- Add tomatoes and diced cucumber just before serving.