These delicious vegan scones are made light and rich with coconut oil, bound together with flax, and filled chock full of strawberries, chocolate chips, and slivered almonds! Step by step photos make this easy recipe a cinch to whip together!
What you need to make these Vegan Scones:
- Coconut Oil – you can use refined (no coconut flavor), or unrefined (lends a light coconut flavor)
- Fresh strawberries
- Slivered Almonds – the perfect size and texture
- Almond flavor – for that extra flavor and aroma
- Flax seed meal – to make flax eggs
- Almond milk – or other non-dairy milk
- Vegan Chocolate Chips – yes!!
- All-purpose flour
- Glazing sugar for the top – an optional but pretty and tasty garnish!
How to make Vegan Scones:
In a small bowl, mix your flax egg (see recipe), add almond milk, almond flavor, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
Then cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients with a fork.
Add vegan chocolate chips, diced strawberries, and slivered almonds and gently stir with a spoon or your hands until berries are well coated with the flour mixture.
Expert Cooking Tip:
Adding the berries to the flour mixture before adding the liquid ingredients helps coat the berries with a bit of flour, preventing moisture pockets, and incorporating everything into the scones.
Now add the non-dairy milk – (Almond milk is my preference for this recipe).
Use a spoon or fork to mix together until all moisture is absorbed and there are no dry spots.
Form the vegan scone batter into a large ball and place on a parchment covered or pan-sprayed tray. Use your hands to press the ball gently into a disc shape about eight inches across.
Use a knife to cut the disc into eight pieces.
Then separate the pieces by an inch or two to allow space for rising. Add glazing sugar if you like and place in the oven to bake at 400 degrees for 25-28 minutes.
Your vegan scones are done baking when they are beginning to brown around the edges! Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside… and completely irresistable!
How to store your vegan scones:
Store your scones in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days. Refrigerate to keep them fresh a few days longer, re-warming as needed.
Can I freeze my vegan scones?
Wrap the scones individually in plastic wrap and then place in a plastic wrap before freezing. Defrost and then warm in the oven at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes or in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Enjoy!
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- 2 Ingredient Vegan Yogurt
- Easy Breakfast Tofu Scramble
- The Ultimate Green Smoothie
- Cocoa Banana Chia Seed Pudding
If you’ve tried this Vegan Scone recipe or any other recipe on my blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW MEon FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepin’ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Vegan Scones with Strawberries and Chocolate Chips
- 1 Flax Egg, 1 Tbsp. Ground Flax plus 2 1/2 Tbsp. water
- 2/3 c Almond Milk
- 1/4 tsp Almond Flavoring
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 c Unbleached White Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Coconut Oil, refined or un-refined
- 1/3 c Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 c Vegan Chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 c Finely Diced Strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare your baking tray with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix your flax egg (whisk 1 Tbsp ground flax with 2 1/2 Tbsp water) add almond milk, and flavorings. Set aside while prepping the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl sift together the four dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
- Cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture with a fork.
- Now add diced strawberries, chocolate chips, slivered almonds to the flour mixture. Use a spoon or your hands to mix strawberries into the flour mixture so they are well coated with flour.
- Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until moisture is absorbed and there are no dry pockets. Form the vegan scone batter into a large round ball.
- Move the ball to prepared baking tray and press it into a round disc about 9 inches in diameter. Use a knife to cut the circle into eight wedges. Move the wedges 1-2 inches apart from each other to allow rising space.
- Add glazing sugar if you like for added sweetness and crunch!
- Bake on the middle oven rack for 25-28 minutes or just until the edges begin to brown. Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then enjoy!!!