Vegetable prestige is real. I mean, at least is my mind. 😉 And on my vegetable hierarchy cauliflower rules. Then I recently met purple cauliflower. It practically called out to me in the veggie section of my grocery store. ‘Take me home!’ Yeah, I couldn’t resist. And then I found out that this little royal crown of lavender cauliflower is even more nutritious than it’s white cousin! Who knew?!
Truth be told, that little purple royal head sat in the fridge amongst all my other cooking ideas (my food blogger/family fridge tends to be
a little crowded) and for a few days I was at a loss as how to use this new delight so I could enjoy it’s both it’s beauty and taste. Here’s what we ended up with, and I dare say it was quite a delight….
It begins by combining the cauliflower florets with zucchini, grape tomatoes, and power packed chickpeas (also known as garbanzos). A tich of extra virgin olive oil drizzled over with some coarse salt, and you are ready to slide these in the oven to roast while you move onto the next step.
You know that perfect vegan pesto I was crushing over not too long ago? Ahh, yes. One of my friends described it as ‘addictive’. In other words…yum. So, a bed of angel hair pasta cooked, with a recipe of perfect vegan pesto (yes I used the whole thing 😉 ) mixed through it and then oven baked veggies spread over. Not a meal you’ll soon forget! Even if you are not a total vegan, I encourage you to try this pesto sauce. Truly, if I was served it without watching it’s preparation, I would NOT have believed that it was vegan. Please try it and comment so I get to hear what you think!!
Vegan Pesto Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpeas, and Zucchini
- 2 Cups Purple Cauliflower Florets
- 1 C. Halved Grape tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini about 1 1/2 Cups Diced
- 2 14 oz. Cans Chickpeas Garbanzos rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Salt or Sea Salt
- 2 T. Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss chickpeas, cauliflower, zucchini, and halved grape tomatoes together with olive oil and salt.
- Place on tray prepared with pan spray or brushed with olive oil into oven and roast for about 25-30 minutes.
- While Veggies and Chickpeas are roasting: Make Perfect Vegan Pesto (Click for link)
- Cook 1 lb (or appropriate amount) of angel hair pasta according to package directions.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained, mix in pesto sauce. Place a scoop or two of veggies over each serving. Garnish with fresh basil!