So today is my awesome Mother-in-Law’s birthday! But yesterday was the party. 🙂 Farm friends and family alike gathered in our big open kitchen/dining room to celebrate by feasting on fantastic burritos (more on that later) while trying to keep our kids from diving on the dessert until we were ready and…yeah, it was a blast!! Bedlam? Yup, but fun, so much fun.
Back to Brownie Cake. So to be totally honest, I originally had my heart set on brownies for this birthday occasion. Dark luscious brownies with beautiful white Vegan Vanilla Ice cream (my next post). And then when I threw a bunch of ingredients together, this is what came out. Not exactly what I planned on, but definitely super-duper tasty and a perfect match to our vegan ice cream. Yeah! So now I have a new favorite dessert to share with you!
I even managed to take a few pictures before the party! Ha!
While my two-year old did this!
Thankfully her dear daddy took her and the other kiddos out for a four-wheeler ride before she landed face-first in the dessert while I finished prep for the meal. 🙂
Ok, so just a little side note here:
You might be wondering what in the world Roma is. It’s a caffeine free coffee substitute. If you don’t have any trouble with coffee, I’m guessing you could just sub instant coffee in it’s place. I’m not entirely sure since I’m not a coffee drinker, but the idea here is that coffee flavor deepens and enriches the chocolate flavor. You just gotta try this!
Don’t wait for a birthday! 😉 Go ahead and delight yourself with moist, rich, choclatey decadence!
Go-to Brownie Cake
- 2 C Flour
- 1 1/2 C Sugar organic if you prefer
- 3/4 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 C Soymilk
- 1/2 C Vegetable Oil
- 1 C Applesauce
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Roma see notes
- 2/3 C Non-Dairy Chocolate Chips these are for on top!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use margarine and flour to grease 9×13 or similar sized baking pan.
- Measure and mix the dry ingredients (with the exception of the Roma and chocolate chips) together in a large bowl.
- Measure and mix all wet ingredients and Roma in separate medium bowl. Add wet ingredients to the dry. Mix until ingredients are well blended, but do not overmix.
- Pour into baking dish and then sprinkle your vegan chocolate chips overtop.
- Pop it into the oven for 25-30 minutes. You can test with a toothpick. It should come out mostly clean (if you didn’t poke it in a chocolate chip ???? in that amount of time.
- As it cools, it should pull away from the side of the pan just slightly and you can cut and serve. Wonderful with a topping of Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream. Ahhh….